SSH acces doesn't work ...

Discussion in 'General' started by fabianus, Nov 11, 2007.

1. fabianus

I try to access the server with Putty, but the user "root" does not work with the password I set during the setup of the Elastix server.
    Anybody had the same problem?

Thanks a lot for any feedback!

Regards,
    Fabianus

PS my Elastix Distro is 0.8.5<br><br>Post edited by: fabianus, at: 2007/11/11 17:07

2. rikolen

Which error do you get with Putty? you can alway restart the ssh daemons with the command: service sshd restart.

3. fabianus

Hi rikolen,

thanks for your concern.
    In fact I do not get any error. I starty putty.exe, I define the ip-address, then I click on "open". the command line asks for the login, I type "root", then it asks for the password, and I type the password I defined during the installation process of the server for root ... and I get "Acess denied".
    Any idea?

Regards,
    Fabianus

4. ramoncio

If you get a prompt for user/pass is because sshd is running at the server...
    Are you positive you are using the same pass?
    Maybe if you have a laptop, you had numlock activated at installation?
    Caps lock activated?
    I don't think so. You wouldn't be asking here.
    It is very strange...
    Try entering user/pass from the server itself.
    If you can enter then there is some strange problem with sshd, and if you can't, then somehow you are entering an incorrect password or there was a problem when you stored the password at installation.
    Maybe you'll have to reinstall.
    Good luck

5. fabianus

Dear Ramoncio,

thanks for your suggestions.
    How could I enter the user/pass from the server? I am a total newbee on linux ...

Regards,
    Fabianus

6. rikolen

IMO there is a small bug with the keyboard setting in asterisk after each installation the default will be always english, therefore if you selected another one your password will only works with the english keyboard.

7. ramoncio

You will have to plug a screen, and a keyboard to the server.
    You should get a login prompt.
    Enter root/yourpassword.
    Maybe you have to reboot for the keyboard to be detected, it depends on your motherboard/keyboard.

8. fabianus

rikolen, I checked this already, but this could not cause it (I checked the password where I should type the user name and it showed up correctly.

Could you tell me how I may make the connection test on the server itself, just to make sure that it works there?

Regards,
    Fabianus<br><br>Post edited by: fabianus, at: 2007/11/11 22:39

9. ramoncio

Yes, that is right.
    You can change your keyboard settings, running as root:
    # setup

10. rikolen

If you don't want to reinstall your server you can rset your password following the next steps:

Booting into single user mode from GRUB

Follow these steps to reset the password when using GRUB:

* Reboot the system, and when you are at the selection prompt, highlight the line for Elastix and press 'e'. You may only have 2 seconds to do this, so be quick.
    * This will take you to another screen where you should select the entry that begins with 'kernel' and press 'e' again.
    * Append ' single' to the end of that line (without the quotes). Make sure that there is a space between what's there and 'single'. If your system requires you to enter your root password to log into single-user mode, then append init=/bin/bash after 'single'. Hit 'Enter' to save the changes.
    * Press 'b' to boot into Single User Mode.
    * Once the system finishes booting, you will be logged in as root. Use passwd and choose a new password for root.
    * Type reboot to reboot the system, and you can login with the new password you just selected.

rikolen.

11. fabianus

Hello ...
    :blush:

In fact it really was a keyboard problem.
    Thank you guys for your kind and active support!

Best regards,
    Fabianus