SPAM Email - How to block/secure

Discussion in 'General' started by farhansabir, Aug 11, 2008.

1. farhansabir

I have an Elastix system in DMZ mode and using it for 2-3 phones from outside the network on IAX/SIP.

My ISP has issued me a warning that they are receiving spam emails from my ip address. It seems that the Elastix server allows anonymous email to be sent using port 25. I see a long list of smtpd and imapd processes in 'ps -e'. I have stopped the POSTFIX service, but that is a temporary solution. smtpd and imapd are not recognized as services.

Is there an easier to stop being a host for others to send spam emails? i.e., to Secure the mail server (POSTFIX) so that it can send system generated email or the ones sent by root only. no smtp/imapd or pop access from external IPs/Hosts?

Thanks

Farhan Sabir

2. rafael

I seems like you have open relay in you email server. You can use the Elastix interfase to solve this:

Email -> RelayI seems like you have open relay in you email server. You can use the Elastix interfase to solve this:

Email -> Relay

There you should put the ip of the networks that can send email through your smtp server. The default setup would allow only 127.0.0.1/32 (localhost), that would be fine if you use email just

There you should put the ip of the networks that can send email through your smtp server. The default setup would allow only 127.0.0.1/32 (localhost), that would be fine if you use email only with the webmail. If you use pop3 accounts you should add your local network.

Are you sure that Elastix is the responsable of the spam? Most of the times are Windows Machine with a virus the ones that are sending the spam. You could use telnet to test if Elastix would allow to send spam from the Internet.

Regards,

Rafael