Some preinstallation questions

Discussion in 'General' started by zenny, Mar 6, 2008.

1. zenny

I am thinking of installing Elastix 1.0B9 on a P4 HT machine with 2GB RAM and 500GB HDD. I would like to use it for 25 members with callcenter module (including recording).

What is the ideal way to install? I meant, what is the ideal HDD partition for /, /boot, /home, /usr, /var, /tmp etc.? Which partition requires the most space (for recording and voicemail)?

I would further want to create a failover Elastix machine too, maybe using DRBD or rsync.

If I want to use the machine as multihomed for DHCP broadcast by creating an IP alias (eth0 and eth0:0), how can that be achieved in Elastix? I know that in debian, I can use a combination of IPmasq, dnsmasq/DHCP3 and a firewall like firehol/shorewall.

And what is the best firewall for Elastix? I read about APF in this forum, but also I read the following about APF, too (http://www.webhostingresourcekit.com/307.html).

Kindly suggest.<br><br>Post edited by: zenny, at: 2008/03/05 21:07

2. zenny

Eagerly waiting for reply. Anyone there? ;)

3. DStirrup

Zenny,

Your questions seem to present a certain knowledge level that excludes being able to deploy and maintain a HA or clustered VoIP system.

Yes it can all be done. No, it cannot be done without some real understanding of many issues and proper time/finacial investment.

Keep in mind the Call Centre solution you are proposing is the enabling foundation technology of someones business which is totally dependant on the quality of your deployment.

Most business people would be very well advised to engage an experienced asterisk consultant for this task as it is not a trivial process that following some script will succeed well at.

4. zenny

DStirrup:

Thanks for late comment. I am running several voip solutions from asterisk to freeswitch to ser. I was asking Elastix specific questions, if there are any.

So there is no question arises me having to consult with another asterisk 'consultant' being myself one. So your reply seems to be more commercial than guided by the FLOSS spirit.

Honestly speaking, I am searching for an alternative for TB (using since A@H) due to their commercial approches, and thought that I will go for Elastix (but there are woes I posted somewhere in this forum, and very slow support).

About the slow community support (maybe due to low number of user base), I would love to quote Tim Booth from the thread (http://www.trixbox.org/forums/trixbox-f ... vs-elastix which introduced me to Elastix), and seems that he put it right:

I will search for something else (like milfish.org and cytrun linux server). Else I will develop my own commandline solution with callweaver.

Anyway, thanks.<br><br>Post edited by: zenny, at: 2008/03/07 13:21

5. DStirrup

OK zenny, believe whatever you want. I was not soliciting and I am quite a bit cranky at your assertion. (a) I am too busy, (b)The only reason I am spending serious time in public forums presently is that I damaged my foot so I am stuck with it up in the air, (c) I only do remote work for my clients in my city that I have built the appropriate systems for.

I was polite before about your questions. But seeing as you are earning a living as an asterisk consultant tell me why;

- You asked basic networking question with easy to learn answers.
    - You ask about HA solutions using rsync and DRBD.
    - You ask about partitioning schemes for the servers?

These issues are not hard to work through if you have some experience. Yet you have trouble dropping a network driver module into a Centos system?

Elastix is just another Centos 5.0 Asterisk box, nothing exciting there. Tons of info around to answer all of these questions.

This is why I suggested that if you plan on deploying a Call Centre solution you get some experience involved. I never suggested ME. I now strongly suggest instead you start prototyping properely what you want others to trust their business to. I do, that is why I know some of the problems from hundreds & hundreds of hours of work.

[edit] I also bring to you attention your desire to install a Beta distribution with known bugs into a production Call Centre???? And you thought I would involve myself in that.... WOW but no thanks.

As to your comment about distros, I think Elastix is OK and will end up being a very nice alternative to TB. The main issue I have is that they are too slow to respond to serious deployment problems. Bugs that were introduced in the initial 1.02Alpha are still present in the 1.09Beta. It is my expectation they will eventually have some sort of commercial offering and may end up like TB.

The NerdVittles PBX in a Flash is looking promising and is far more like the old AAH builds but is so new it is hard to say where it will go. Already they have an option for resellers to move to a centrally managed system, just like Fonality started off with and converted TB into.

Rolling your own with CW is not a bad path to go down.

Bye<br><br>Post edited by: DStirrup, at: 2008/03/07 19:02

6. DStirrup

Also what to you mean by my "late comment" ?

Was I tardy/slow in trying to help you?

So sorry.

Bye<br><br>Post edited by: DStirrup, at: 2008/03/07 18:57

7. zenny

David:

Do not take anything personally. I meant the forum response time is simply horrible compared to TB. The community size and participation here seems to be very low.

And as far as the networking thing is concerned, the Broadcom nic seems to be one of the difficult stuff to make it work with Centos. You can google to find out. It does not seem as easy as you assume even for the one who understands the command line (maybe me?)

8. DStirrup

TB has a large following. The people who end up here are usually TB's who are waking up to the more subtle issues of the Fonality business model. Or they just dislike the baggage that comes with TB lately.

My guess is that there are maybe 250 - 350 consistent people into the forums. If true then it is quite small but it is getting bigger.

I usually on check in about every week or so normally as a guest.

I have had to install Broadcom modules before and it went smotthly enough with the usual process of compiling against kernel-devel. I think it was a 58xx chip but that was like 6 months ago.

Why on earth they try to get people to create an RPM against the system as the 1st (and seemingly preferred) method is beyond me.