SOLVED! When I reboot server, it losts gateway??

Discussion in 'General' started by Cetalfio, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Cetalfio

Hi Elastix works very good but I've a little problem when I reboot server from web interface: system-->shutdown-->reboot-->proceed

After that, the server has a very strange behavior, it retains network settings but not the gateway so I can no longer access the server remotely but only from the LAN,

some idea?

Cetalfio

2. rollinsolo

Re:When I reboot server, it losts gateway??

try from the command interface side (putty) and type netconfig using the same settings.

3. Cetalfio

Thanks rollinsolo I've solved with your tip.

Explanation for newbies like me.

During my first installation of Elastix I was setup up a network service like 10.0.0.12/24 and gateway 10.0.0.1. After I've changed network parameters from web interface of Elastix and I was be able to change eth0 correctly like 192.168.1.12/24 and gateway 192.168.1.1. But when I reboot server eth0 has maintained settings but gateway address came back to 10.0.0.1.
    I came into the server via SSH and from root user I've digit SETUP command and NETWORK SETTINGS, so I was able to fix my gateway address.

Cetalfio

4. rollinsolo

Hey if I helped you at all please increase my karma, up on the top right, Karma shows that you actually help forum users as opposed to just receiving help from other users. Trust me I have dished out more Karma than I have received, I try to give back as much advise as I have taken, I just see your new so thought I would let you in on that one. At first you most likely will get more help than you give but as you learn that is when Karma comes into play in giving back.

5. dicko

rollinsolo:

I will give you a karma bump, you've come a long way, even though you claim to have " . . . . opposed help from other users . . ." (sic.) :)

regards

dicko

6. rollinsolo

Sorry about that typo, that was my 2.5 year old running interference on me reading over my own post, YES I have received a ton of help from the forums and am happy that I am able to share the tid bits, long hours and late nights with other people as you all have with me, thus increasing the quality of lives around here, thanks again to all. I am a devoted fan of Elastix.

7. mbit

The problem is sometimes it writes different gateways in different network files and the linux system gets confused.

Make sure the gateway is only written into /etc/sysconfig/network. If the default gateway is set in any of the individual network card configs then take it out.

8. rollinsolo

Also if someone has a motherboard nic, and a card nic, Linux might want to assign the motherboard nic as eth0 and the card as eth1. So the whole time he was configuring eth1 and linux was only working with eth0, that is why netconfig actually modified eth0.

9. mbit

It comes down to the file ifcfg-eth0 in there you need to make sure the device= property is in there. This binds to the mac address of your network card and it wont allow it to change.

10. dicko

mbit:

Your advice is again incorrect, the layer two presentation is defined by

HWADDR=nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn

and is what it will try to bind to on the arp level (layer 2) , if you no longer have that mac address available you can either comment out that line or insert the correct one, otherwise you will find that it is not accepted,. device=eth0 is basically the layer three usable interface (IP) and it must agree on all lower iso levels.

Again. if you only think you know what you are talking about , please think about STFU until you actually do, :)

and always with respect

dicko