SOLVED After first installation eth0 does not work

Discussion in 'General' started by Cetalfio, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Cetalfio

Hi,
    after a fresh installation of Elastix 1.6 I can login some as root user but I can't configure eth0, when I digit setup command I can't choose network settings, what does is wrong?

Any ideas? Cetalfio

2. ramoncio

Re:After first installation eth0 does not work!

Hi Cetalfio, wellcome to the forum.

I don't know why they removed this from Elastix 1.6...
    Try installing system-config-network:
    Code:
    yum -y install system-config-network

Then you should see the network config if you run 'setup'.

3. Kalama Sutra

Hi Cetalfio,

And I'll add a comment from Ramoncio ...

This falls under the category of "Not Success Stories".

I too had the similar issue with 1.6 AND I did the yum as described.

I've been working with a dual purpose box ( computer ) that has become my test bed for trying things out.

As it's first unit, one of the hard drives plugged in and powered up, I've been running it as a "Smoothwall" router / etc. ( internal ethernet plus 2 NIC's )

When I did a clean load from the Elastix ISO with my second hard drive powered up ( 1st one unplugged ) I had the same issue, scratched my head until I found out it DID NOT want to play well with the internal NIC. So for my testing purposes, I've just utilized the NIC card that wanted to be identified as eth0 ... even though as a smoothy, it was eth1. Go Figure.

If that doesn't help, try a bigger hammer ... :huh:

Jim

4. fmvillares

sometimes some cards did not get recognized wel by centos kernel...so you need to know about some linux testing and skills...like ifup ifdown ifconfig commands...and eth driver compilling...most of the times for example i dont use stock kernel and i upgrade all modules by hand...thes the best way if you can move around system drivers...

5. Cetalfio

Thanks I have solved.
    The problem occurred both when trying to use the integrated ethernet and one PCI ethernet, the interfaces is recognized by Centos but does not seem possible to assign network parameters.

Well my LAN hasn't a DHCP enabled then does not seem to be able to run the ethernets.

Then I try to enable DHCP service on the xDSL router so my ethernet took IP address and it started to work.

I installed the system-network-configuration why isn't it default installed ;-(, thanks Ramoncio for the tip, and then I assigned a static address to my ethernet.

However I find a limit to have a DHCP service on the LAN so the ethernet start to work well, Cetalfio

6. salytwo

this problem faced me also and I found a solution which is the following command:
    ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.10 up
    thanks