Siptosis Skype gateway

Discussion in 'General' started by zeus, Feb 15, 2009.

1. zeus

Hello friends,

Has anyone successfully integrate SiptoSis skype gateway with elastix?

2. wiseoldowl

3. aaron6

I'd like to give this a try but one of the prerequisites for Siptosis is Java 1.5

I figured this to be a basic install--but still haven't successfully installed. Has anyone found clear steps on how to install Java 1.5 from a Elastix 1.3 install?

I figured:

Code:
    yum install java

but that installs 1.4 --attempting 1.5 states there isn't a public key. As you can guess--still very green with linux--but can't understand why this isn't easier

any suggestions what I've overlooked?

4. wiseoldowl

Now THAT is a problem. Generally speaking I hate Java with a passion, precisely because it's one of the most ornery pieces of software I've ever had to deal with (and I try to avoid it as much as possible). At least in my experience, it doesn't manage its memory usage very well either (though hopefully that's been fixed in newer versions?).

I would first think you will need to uninstall Java 1.4 (can't recall the yum syntax to do that off the top of my head, but if you have Webmin installed you could always do it from Webmin's System | Software Packages). Then if you use Webmin's "Search rpmfind.net" button (or, I would assume, start a search from the rpmfind home page) - you will see what seems like hundreds of Java packages. Maybe one of the Fedora packages would work, but I don't have a clue which one. Webmin reports we are running CentOS Linux 5.2 but that doesn't give me a clue as to which package we would use (I'm guessing one of the Fedora pacakages, but which one?).

Alternately you could using Google - search on something like yum install "Java 1.5" "CentOS 5.2" (actually, leave out the .2 for more results) or variations thereof and see if anything useful appears. Or, just wait until someone more knowledgeable tries to do this and runs into the same issue.

By the way, you might try posting your comment under the actual Nerd Vittles article, you might get a faster/better response there (though I'd be happy to be proven wrong).

If you do get this worked out I hope you will post what you had to do!

5. wiseoldowl

6. aaron6

Nerd Vittles updated their site with the successful steps

1. Go to Sun's Java SE Development Kit 6u12 website, choose Linux for the platform, and agree to the license agreement. Then click Continue. Download jdk-6u12-linux-i586-rpm.bin and copy it to your Asterisk server.

2. Make the file executable (chmod +x jdk-6u12-linux-i586-rpm.bin) and then run it.

java -version

shows 1.6

7. wiseoldowl

I am convinced Linux hates me. I assure you that the feeling is mutual at times. I do great in the FreePBX interface, I can even hack up a few lines of custom dial plan every now and then (I emphasize the word "few" there). But put me in front of a Linux command prompt and I can almost guarantee you things are going to go wrong.

So anyway, I'm trying to install the gateway using the Nerd Vittles instructions, and all is pretty much going according to plan with only a minor glitch here and there (I hit a failed dependency once but just used yum to install the missing component and all was good)... until the instructions said:

Whereupon Linux returned the dreaded words: command not found

Now, I'm suspecting that this may be a larger problem than it first appears. I seem to recall from a year or two ago having a discussion with someone who basically informed me that the version of CentOS that we use is intended for servers and as such, doesn't include any sort of "windowing" capability. And for some reason I was left with the impression that it's not trivial to add it, although I could be wrong. Anyway, I feel like I'm in over my head here and since I don't want to mess up my system, I think I will post this and see if anyone who is more comfortable at a Linux command prompt than I might know how to get xinit to work on an Elastix install.

Okay, now having said that, I will make one comment about what I've done so far. The Nerd Vittles folks sometimes really leave me scratching my head wondering, "Why in the h-e-double-hockey-sticks are they doing that?" And in this install, one thing they want you to do is modify the [from-sip-external] context (after copying it over to extensions_override_freepbx.conf) by adding four new lines, only one of which is actually used by the gateway - oh, and as a bonus they want you to route incoming calls to a day and night mode. This, to me, seems crazy, if only because any time you do a major upgrade to FreePBX the original [from-sip-external] context might get modified but the version you copied over will not, which could lead to unforeseen problems down the road. What's wrong with processing these calls like any normal incoming call? Well, part of the problem is that when you download the NV package they have set the configuration to send incoming Skype calls to your system using a DID of (are you ready for this?) mothership.

In case you'd like to use something a bit less oddball, find the file /siptosis/SkypeToSipAuth.props and within that file, the line *,sip:mothership@127.0.0.1:5060 - what I am going to try, if I can ever get past the xinit problem, is changing mothership to a numeric value, such as 7597346 (no particular reason except that it spells out SKYPEIN on a touch tone pad), and then simply create an inbound route for DID 7597346/any CID. I have a feeling this will work (although I may have to allow anonymous SIP calls in the General settings) without any modifications to the [from-sip-external] context. But any further testing is predicated on getting xinit to work, so any thoughts on that would be much appreciated!

8. zeus

For xinit to work you must install x-windows environment.

# yum groupinstall "X Window System" "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"

Then you probably must install KDE in your language and kde libs.

Because is a bit complex you just can install all kde packages

# yum install kde*

That way you have x-windows environment with kde so xinit must work.

I will try this siptosip installation at weekend and will also post my findings.

This is a very cool integration for elastix and I think that many people are interesting, so if any of you friends make it work please post here your notes.

Thank you.

9. ramoncio

With "yum grouplist" you can see the Groups.
    What I do to install X in my demo laptop:

# yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment" --exclude=nautilus-sendto

10. donhwyo

Or
    Code:
    #Next step not needed for KDE. See http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2483 

wget http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/os/i386/CentOS/nautilus-sendto-0.7-5.fc6.i386.rpm  && rpm -Uvh --nodeps nautilus-sendto-0.7-5.fc6.i386.rpm     

yum grouplist    #Shows list of available groups 

# Substitute "KDE (K Desktop Environment)" for "GNOME Desktop Environment" if you prefer.  #Not tested 

yum groupinstall "X Window System" "GNOME Desktop Environment" firefox 

startx 

#goto 127.0.0.1 in firefox. Some pages require flash plugin. Click manual install and install the yum repo version. 

yum install flash-plugin   #logoff x 

Gets around the nautilus error a different way and gives you flash for fop. Then you can do java from gui.

Don

11. ramoncio

wiseoldowl, did you follow all the instructions?
    With this commands you install the basic X files. This includes xinit.

yum -y install xorg-x11-server-Xvfb
    yum -y install qt4
    yum -y install xterm
    yum -y install libXScrnSaver.i386

EDIT: I'm not sure about that. I've done all tests remotely using ssh, so maybe this machine already had some X packages installed.

12. ramoncio

EDIT2:
    Now I'm sure. I installed gnome there. This is my demo laptop, usually I don't install X, but I reformated a couple of weeks ago and yes, I installed gnome.

[root@elastix /]# rpm -qa |grep gnome
    gnome-mime-data-2.4.2-3.1
    gnome-keyring-0.6.0-1.fc6
    gnome-mount-0.5-3.el5
    gnome-icon-theme-2.16.0.1-4.el5
    libgnomecups-0.2.2-8
    gnome-system-monitor-2.16.0-3.el5
    gnome-screensaver-2.16.1-8.el5
    gnome-backgrounds-2.15.92-1.fc6
    gnome-python2-applet-2.16.0-2.el5
    gnome-python2-libegg-2.14.2-6.el5
    libgnomecanvas-2.14.0-4.1
    gnome-vfs2-2.16.2-4.el5
    libgnomeui-2.16.0-5.el5
    libgnomeprint22-2.12.1-10.el5
    gnome-doc-utils-0.8.0-2.fc6
    gnome-vfs2-smb-2.16.2-4.el5
    gnome-mag-0.13.1-1.fc6
    gnome-speech-0.4.5-1.fc6
    gnome-panel-2.16.1-7.el5
    libgail-gnome-1.1.3-1.2.1
    NetworkManager-gnome-0.6.4-8.el5
    gnome-power-manager-2.16.0-9.el5
    gnome-terminal-2.16.0-3.el5
    gnome-themes-2.16.0-1.fc6
    gnome-user-share-0.10-6.el5
    gnome-python2-2.16.0-1.fc6
    gnome-volume-manager-2.15.0-5.el5
    gnome-python2-gnomeprint-2.16.0-2.el5
    gnome-python2-extras-2.14.2-6.el5
    gnome-python2-gconf-2.16.0-1.fc6
    gnome-applets-2.16.0.1-19.el5
    gnome-python2-gnomevfs-2.16.0-1.fc6
    libgnome-2.16.0-6.el5
    gnome-menus-2.16.0-2.fc6
    gnome-desktop-2.16.0-1.el5.centos.1
    libgnomeprintui22-2.12.1-6
    gnome-netstatus-2.12.0-5.el5
    gnome-pilot-2.0.13-16
    gnome-utils-2.16.0-5.el5
    gnome-user-docs-2.16.0-2.fc6
    gnome-audio-2.0.0-3.1.1
    gnome-python2-desktop-2.16.0-2.el5
    gnome-media-2.16.1-3.el5
    gnome-python2-gtksourceview-2.16.0-2.el5
    gnome-session-2.16.0-6.el5.centos
    hal-gnome-0.5.8.1-35.el5
    gnome-python2-bonobo-2.16.0-1.fc6

13. wiseoldowl

Yes, I did install all those, and I also created the xorg.conf file that they put on the Nerd Vittles page (they must have done that in the past 24 hours). This is a basic Elastix install from the ISO, with very little added (just things like Webmin), and as far as I know I've never installed any "X packages."

Of course now I'm REALLY confused, given there were three different ways given to resolve this, and I have no idea which is the "best" or "right" way. So let me say this much - this system is primarily used as a server (other than running Asterisk about the only thing it's ever used for is overflow files storage, and not much of that because it only has an 80 GB drive). Also it is almost never accessed directly from the machine - virtually all access is via SSH and of couse the web-baed interface (most of the time there isn't even a keyboard and monitor connected). So we want it to run "lean and mean" without adding any excess bloat. So I guess what I am wondering is, what's the bare minimum I can install to get xinit working well enough to set up Skype? I'll install one of the desktop environments if I have to but that almost seems like overkill, and in this situation I'm not sure which would be the best choice.

I'm SOOOOOO confused! :S

14. dicko

wiseoldowl:

I believe that startx (or startxfce4 or whatever desktop you installed), which better wraps xinit if you have a "desktop" would be more appropriate than xinit per-se if I followed this thread correctly. (for a minimal install of the X environment without a "desktop", then it's harder).
    The fact that you have a gui desktop installed doesn't impact your server's load unless you actually run it. but it can be run for occasional local access with a gui to 127.0.0.1. or even accessed by vnc or tunnelled through ssh, but that's all linux geek stuff ;)

15. wiseoldowl

Maybe I am not making myself clear - I have not installed ANY desktop of any type. I am running a pretty much barebones Elastix installation as it comes off the ISO - I added Webmin and I think phpMyAdmin and that was it. No desktop, no x environment. You guys are all talking way over my head on this stuff (I'm not even sure what you mean by "occasional local access with a gui to 127.0.0.1" - what are you TALKING about? I know that 127.0.0.1 is the local loopback address but in this context that phrase makes no sense to me). I think the problem is that you Linux guys are assuming far too much knowledge on my part - just because I can get around in FreePBX and Asterisk doesn't mean I know the first thing about Linux. I'm vaguely aware that there are two competing "desktops" (actually I thought there were more) but had no idea when I got into this project that I would even need to think about something like installing a desktop environment.

What I'm wondering is, does the PBX in a Flash ISO actually come with a desktop pre-installed? I'm wondering why they aren't having this level of pain over there! :(

16. dicko

wiseoldowl:

no by default it is a server, no GUI

BUT: it's easy
    as root,

yum groupinstall -y "X Window System" "GNOME Desktop Environment" --exclude=nautilus-sendto
    yum install -y firefox vnc*

then run (from bash)

vncpasswd
    to set a password

edit /root/.vnc/xstartup
    so the last line is replaced with
    gnome-session&

edit /etc/sysconfig/vncserver
    so the last bit looks something like
    VNCSERVERS="3:root"
    VNCSERVERARGS[2]="-geometry 1024x768"

find a vnc client for the OS of choice and connect to

server:3
    (user: root, password: <as above>

or just

startx

locally (from localhost or 127.0.0.1, or "The box itself" )

run "setup then system services" from bash and make sure that vncserver (and probably webmin as it it has it's own vulnerabilities ) are not started by default
    you can always start them from ssh when you need them

service webmin start
    and
    service vncserver start

(my usual provisos, never run anything as root unless you need to, and "no pain, no gain! Elastix runs under linux" ;) )

17. wiseoldowl

Dicko, please, you're just confusing me more and I'm not entirely sure you aren't messing with me at this point - I say I want a no-bloat installation and you tell me to install Firefox and vnc? What the heck for? I'm not going to surf the web or play media on that machine! With all due respect, I would like to hear from the experts in the crowd, not someone who installs everything but the kitchen sink. Your method looks like using a steamroller to swat a bug!

18. dicko

wiseoldowl:

My apologies, not in any way meant to confuse or mess with you, more to help you through your linuxphobia.
    (There is an alternate solution rooted in an alternative OS, but get ready to dig out megabucks (sorry couldn't resist))

I personally use this methodology to access, on an ad-hoc basis, the http servers on the phones physically located in remote networks that I administer, in a lazy way. Bloat or otherwise, it is effective.

Can we remain respectful adversaries of differing philosophies?

p.s.
    sorry zeus for hi-jacking your thread.

p.p.s

In my defense, I posted originally here in response to your post here:

namely

http://www.elastix.org/index.php?option ... t=10#17287

quote ". . .
    QUOTE:
    For those on a CentOS-based system, here are the steps:

1. Start up X-Windows: xinit

Whereupon Linux returned the dreaded words: command not found . . . ."

I maintain mine was a valid, non confrontational response.

and yes. you have installed, in effect, an X desktop,:

from

http://www.elastix.org/index.php?option ... rt=0#17314

quote" . . .Yes, I did install all those, and I also created the xorg.conf file that they put on the Nerd Vittles page (they must have done that in the past 24 hours). This is a basic Elastix install from the ISO, with very little added (just things like Webmin), and as far as I know I've never installed any "X packages.". . ."

My further post was intended to be helpful and instructional, to you or any others that might stumble here, "please accept/reject . . . . as ever"

19. wiseoldowl

Well, if I have installed an X desktop, then I have no idea how I did it or why it's not working now (specifically why xinit is not working). What's frustrating is that no two people seem to agree on a solution.

As for being "non confrontational", I would think you would know by now that it's fairly rare that you and I see eye to eye on anything - we have totally different philosophies about how things should be done and usually if you say black, I say white and vise versa. So knowing that, and knowing that three people had already responded, why did you post instructions that were even more complicated than anything they had posted, and especially why did you pick my message to respond to? It almost looks like you saw a post from me and decided to jump on it just to mess with me, as I said in the first place.

And by the way, it is never "hijacking" a thread to respond to an on-topic post, it's just that there are times you should use some discretion and avoid making trouble. But you seem to have the idea that we are like salespeople in a department store and whoever helps someone first gets the exclusive right to deal with that "customer." That is not the case, it never has been the case, and hopefully it never will be the case in an open discussion forum such as this one. I usually appreciate hearing all the opinions, even when they leave me more confused (as in this thread) because even if no one else posts, maybe in a day or two I'll pick one approach and try it (I'm still hoping maybe someone will come up with a more minimalist approach that gets the job done; I'd really rather not install a full desktop on this particular system if I don't absolutely have to). But what upsets me is when I specifically say that I'm wanting to do something a particular way (the minimalist approach) and someone such as yourself completely ignores that and, without giving any good reason why, proceeds to offer advice that is not at all in keeping with what I asked.

Now I guess you're trying to backpedal and say you didn't read the rest of the thread first, you just decided to reply to my post - and that makes me wonder why? If we had no past history on these forums it would be one thing, but that's not the case. I won't speculate on your motives but I'm just not buying the "non confrontational" bit, at least not in this specific case. I'll chalk it off to a temporary lapse in judgment BUT I notice that as I'm typing this you have posted 133 messages this month while the next highest poster only has 98. Seriously, dude, maybe there are times you should just step away from the keyboard and consider NOT replying every single time the urge hits.

20. ramoncio

wiseoldowl don't get mad with dicko, we are all here for good and he's just trying to help you. He wouldn't write so long and detailed posts if his goal was just to annoy you. ;)

Have a look here:
    http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=46154

Skype managers don't want users to run without a gui

So if you don't want to install X, forget about Skype. ;)
    It appears that if you want to use it you must have X working full time.

Or you can do what madis_l_ says in that post.

This seems to be the bare minimum resources you have to waste.

I've never tried that though. I thought you needed to have a window manager installed to use uvnc.

On the other hand, if I were you, I would experiment a little with Linux. It is really cool, not just as server-based apps.
    At least I would recommend you to read some CentOS/Redhat basic tutorials. Services and basic system management, cronjobs, kernel, modules, logfiles, postfix, users, groups, permissions , apache, mysql, php, and asterisk of course, because Elastix is running on top of all that. The more you know about all that, the better your servers will perform. And in case of trouble all your knowledge will be needed.