SIP Trunks: Who do you recommend?

Discussion in 'General' started by jtesta46, Jan 23, 2010.

1. jtesta46

Who do you recommend for SIP trunking in asterisk? I have a small office with only maybe 3 concurrent calls and need unlimited domestic US minutes. My office is in North Carolina, US.

I am concerned about the quality and reliability many SIP trunk providers I find online. Obviously price is important to me but I also need good quality and want a company that's been around for a while. My main concern is reliability. I am hesitant to do away with my POTS lines for that reason.

By the way, I have a 3 megabit DSL line.

Thanks for the help!

2. Patrick_elx

You will find different kind of subscription:

inbound: pay per call or unlimited
    outbound: payp per call or bundle number of minutes

For personal use, you can find easily a few providers with unlimited both way with 1 or 2 channels.

For business use, then the unlimited option is almost non existent.

There are a few providers that have usually good feedback in this forum, here is a list of a few I remember. There are probably a few others.

vitely.com
    didforsale.com
    voip.ms
    sipgate

What you want to make sure it to choose a reliable provider for your DID as this is what will keep you reachable from the outside. Also porting the number can take a few weeks and you don't want to do it again.
    Your outbound provider on the other hand can be changed as often as you wish and you can probably even use a few of them together to do some least cost routing and keep some backup.

3. jtesta46

Thanks for your input. I suppose I don't really need unlimited calling after further thinking about how many minutes we really do use. I also never really thought of using seperate providers for incomming and outgoing. I quite new to VOIP and can't thank you enough for your input!

4. Patrick_elx

the other good feature about not using the unlimited plan (but still limited anyway in the fine prints), it that on the pay per call, the providers are usually giving you an unlimited number of channels, ie you can receive or send many calls simultaneously.
    What good does it make if you have only 4 staff at a time in your office? if you use third party conference, or call forward your number of channels will exceed your number of phones. Also if all of you are already on the phone, you still want your pbx to answer the call to a queue or a voice mail (and that's another channel).

5. dicko

I agree with Patrick,

Think about it, the CLEC carrier cost to originate/terminate a call in the US for high volume is about $.003 per minute (blended) and that include tollfree, so give these guys their profit, then what is left over is theirs, after giving you what you want, nobody in their right mind will give unlimited channels outbound, the profit is in the market, if you are a domestic account then unlimited at 29.99 makes perect sense at 7.99 maybe so, how many calls do you take/make really (they have a soft-cap at n000 minutes to protect themselves if you didn't know). If you want "business" then maybe two or three inbound, a softcap as ever, and 80 bucks a month also works.

Be careful though, the small print often allows a domestic account to be retroactively changed to a business account if for example your call volume is large and consistently between 9am and 5 pm

It s not unreasonable to expect between 1.4 and 0.7 cents a minute in and out, just do the math for your volume, it is usually much less than n times $xx.nn unless your wife is Italian/Irish with seven siblings :) .

dicko

6. Joshoua

I have been using Vitelity and I am happy.
    The service that Freepbx is also good but I think it does not work for international calls.

7. achaynes21

I highly recommend sipforcallcenters.com they have a very reliable service on sip trunks, and they provide the lowest cost on their services also. Contact them for more information. I hope this helps. Thanks