SIP trunk not registering anymore

Discussion in 'General' started by Patrick_elx, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Patrick_elx

Hi,

I've noticed two separate incident in the last month with two different sip trunk.

For whatever reason one of the trunk is not registered anymore and the trace shows that at one time a re-registration request (every 120s for this provider) is sent without success (authentification failure).

A CLI reload put everything back in place.

I have a static public IP, and I'm using Elastix 1.4RC

Any idea?

Is there a way to monitor registration and force an automatic reload if that happens again?

2. dicko

Patrick_elx:

I'm a little flakey on all the NAT/router traversal issues we can experience, and I acknowledge your Static IP scenario, however you do not say whether you have a router involved and if so how you traverse that possible router, but in my experience and purely empirical, registration periods longer than 60 seconds can result in stale or broken connections and so cause this behaviour, also I find that registering on a port other than 5060 with your various providers(if at all possible) can further reduce multiple VOIP provider connection problems.

3. Patrick_elx

hi dicko,

unfortunately changing the port for the providers are not that easy (except doing a NAT port translation).

I can however try to change the default port for all my local extensions.

4. dicko

It's worth asking them though, more than half of the ones I have tried allow it most by simply adding :5061 or whatever after their domain, or on their provisioning web site. Of course YMMV. I don't believe changing the local extension will help, the problem seems to be with maintaining established connections though the the router/firewall