Sip Inbound only works on-way with Firewall

Discussion in 'General' started by tumbleweed, Mar 22, 2011.

1. tumbleweed

Hi guys

Previously with the Firewall (Sonicwall OS Enhanced) connected, Sip inbound was not even getting through, but since adding necessary NAT on the Firewall inbound is working but only one-way. Outbound IAX2 works fine.
    Firewall rules opened to all on the LAN and WAN.

Sonicwall support are saying the Firewall is forwarding the packets ok, so it must be a problem with the server. Note, when I remove the Firewall inbound works fine.

I am not convinced it´s the server causing this problem, but maybe when I connect the Firewall something may need changing on the extensions?

Thanks

2. dicko

They are actually forwarding the rtp packets AFTER changeing the port, this is why it is not working, some newer software have a "sip helper" thingy. however IMHO it is not very helpful, my solution is to replace them.

dicko

3. tumbleweed

Thanks for the comment dico, but could you elobrate please? The sonicwall has an IP Helper section.

I am waiting to do another live test as when I checked the firewall rules I realised that that UDP ports 10000 - 20000 (RTP) were not amongst the ports forwarded to the Asterisk server. Could this be the problem?

Thanks

4. tumbleweed

Got this working now. A frustrating week of Googling and early morning starts!!

For anybody having VoiP problems using a Sonicwall Firewall the following is required.

Allow following UDP ports:
    5060-5064
    4569 if using IAX2
    10000-20000 (for RTP)

Under VOIP section:
    - Enable consistent NAT
    - Enable SIP Transformations
    - Permit non-SIP packets on signaling port
    - Enable SIP Back-to-Back User Agent (B2BUA) support

Also set up a NAT Policy from the WAN Primary IP (Firewall) to the VoiP Server IP and finally set up Firewall rules for inbound/outbound as desired.

5. gabi_cavaller

Hi Tumbleweed,

This is similar to what I have, could you possibly post some screengrabs on here?

I have created the UDP ports as suggested.

Configured the voip section.

Created a NAT policy with those services attached.

Any help really appreciated.

Thank you in advanced,

What SIP provider are you using? :)

G.

6. tumbleweed

Hi G, Sorry for the delay in replying.

Are you still having problems?

After my last post I had a very strange problem. 3 extensions would not work on inbound, one of the extensions and phone I deleted/reset to default and reconfigured to no avail, also compared with other phones and same.
    Problem was fixed after I upgraded the Sonicwall to the latest Firmware, which Sonicwall website stated many improvements to VoiP :)