Simple I/O interface

Discussion in 'General' started by Patrick_elx, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Patrick_elx

I haven't google it yet, and I'm probably asking for something that has many answers.
    However I would like to use our community feedback with an Elastix point of view.

I'm looking for a simple way to transmit and receive on/off TTL signals to trigger context/asterisk actions.

The electronic part of it does not seem to be a big issue (I remember soldering years ago on the motherboard of my Apple II+ to detect inbound phone calls and to pulse dial from an visicalc spreadsheet list of numbers...)
    Is there out there simple boards to do it? Should I find a USB parallel port for that (if there are some compatible with Centos)? Should I play with serial ports? I can even go for an overkill with a ucontroller in between to buffer it.

But my linux knowledge is quite inexistent. Then what would be the proper way to start a script when an I/O is triggered and what script should I use to change the status of these I/O?

2. dicko

Hey Patrick:

A very cheap ttl/USB adapter is a RadioShack serial cell phone adapter , (I used a motorola one, pin-outs available on the tubes) cell phones are usually ttl (open collector) like, and the usb dongle turns it into an rs232 device),

http://www.unix.com/shell-programming-s ... cript.html

to control that puppy from bash (assume the USB-serial driver are available, last time I tried for programming some JTAG(TTL) enabled routers, the driver was loaded and presented a /dev/tty(something) device to the OS. just like magic).

In true linux fashion you would send the output to either a "call file" or AMI/AGI.