Should we move to phpBB3?

Discussion in 'General' started by Bob, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Bob

Bob

First of all my apologies for accidentally deleting this thread (sorry Rafael!!).

It was deleted accidentally while trying to remove SPAM, as sometimes it is taking 20-30 seconds to refresh screen and pressed one key to many.

Anyhow there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel. Rafael is working hard to get the PHPBB3 production forum readied and has the categories in. He is just making sure login is syncing and a bit or cosmetic work and we should be ready to run.

I should point out that it is not immediately going to be the SPAM cure we are all looking for, but it should be quicker than these forums, we should be able to maintain some better control of the SPAM (delete SPAM users and their posts).....

Over a period of time, we should be able to utilise some add-ons to remove a reasonable amount of this SPAM, which is something that is not available at the moment.

Anyhow apologies again for deletion of the post

Regards

Bob

2. dicko

I suggest someone at PaloSanto pulls their finger out, we are now at a breaking point, even with the best will in the world, it is now mathematically impossible to delete the spam faster than it comes in, they can get three in while my connection gets timed out/messed with four times, I give up ;)

dicko

3. ramoncio

+1

Tonight has been a prolific night for the spammer. I also give up. Yesterday I deleted a couple of gay posts with very offensive images, this is starting to be very urgent.

Rafael is doing some tests with phpBB, you can try to login with your current user/pass here:

ucp.php

4. Bob

Bob

Dicko,

I agree we are at breaking point....but this is the stupid world that we live in, where people feel that they have right to post this crap (SPAM that is).

The same type of person who feels that they have a right to hack away at a system that has nothing to do with them.

The same type of Governments (overseas) that are so weak and gutless that won't put in any laws to prevent this type of garbage.....

All we can do is protect ourselves, and Palosanto is pulling their finger out, they have had it up for community discussion for a while (as selecting another one is not an easy step...even now they are still taking a leap of faith in PHPBB3), and Rafael is proceeding with it, and I know he is working after hours trying to get it finished and up and running. He also has a production system to make sure he doesn't damage as well with User Bridge Function.

I have been doing a similar thing, and it is taking me time...I know why it is taking time, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is ready very shortly...

Regards
    Bob

5. Bob

Bob

I agree it is getting much worse.....and I agree on the offensive posts...they are getting bad....

I know its wrong and it is probably not going to get to the person who is causing this issue, but I am getting so frustrated that I am looking to do something to the systems that this SPAM is coming from (redirected or not)....

If there system is so badly hacked that there spammers are using it, then they don't deserve to have an Internet connection.

Regards

Bob

6. danardf

I hope that PHPBB3 will more secure than kunena, else.... :lol:

If possible the next week.... it will be great

7. rafael

I just hope hell for the spammers is a cold and obsucre place. With your help I know we can move to phpbb as soon as possible. When we know that there are no issues with the posts, users login, categories, etc.... Then we are moving there.

There should be a period of time that this forum would be open with an advice saying that is going to be close for writing in some day (Ex. february 1). After that writting access to this forum should be close.

I created this post in the phpbb forum so we can test it:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2

Regards,

Rafael

8. dicko

SPAM is SPAM, it originates in these fora from a very few ip addresses, they are usually identified by a moderator within a very short period of time.

We are all well used to protecting our boxes with ip-tables and all of us have been doing that for years

( as an aside, "welcome aboard PaloSanto in Elastix [23].0.latest.whenever_it_works, how about getting the rest of the current distro working properly first though :) " )

I am amazed that nobody there can come up with a script to identify posts that start with a very unique "fingerprint", I have offered to do it for you, unfortunately, and as expected, no takers from PaloSanto.

If I was involved I would both delete the thread/post and the user account, I would further add a rule to ip-tables to drop that poster's ip by it's class C network, It's a no brainer, I am not the only one who is more than a little frustrated here, and I guarantee there will be more Spam messages here in this thread before a legitimate response is posted, surely we all do it on an almost daily basis, it's NOT brain surgery, just a shell script, and maybe a cron job if you can't put that script "in-line" on a potential post.

dick

edit : - with full 20-20 hindsight, I believe allowing multiple users from the same IP might also be a little naive.

9. aPoeplirllasia

Wakattado buy tramadol online

empty"/nn

not deleted by dicko to prove a point, the poster's ip address was IP: 193.107.16.188

10. akequectartkem

horgeterm buy tramadol online

empty"/nn

not deleted by dicko poster's ip = 193.107.16.188

11. aStappekAllelf

rigneetraic buy tramadol online

empty"/nn

12. ainconialk

StealiSooro buy tramadol online

empty"/nn

13. danardf

If the current forum is not securised, it's not the fault at Palosanto directly, but Kunena.
    In another hand, if you have a solution to secure it, why not testing it?
    To move and changing a Forum, it's a big work and it take a long time.
    How many time you think that you could secure this Forum?

14. dicko

Bon annee Franck

I have tagged every spammer post I deleted with a negative karma, I've been doing that for weeks if not months thusly the man in charge of the firewall perhaps could drop every ipaddress/24 with a karma less than than perhaps minus three, non?

every spam matches regex "^empty", as I say it's a no brainer.

regards

dicko

15. dicko

Re:geftospegreri buy tramadol online

see!

16. danardf

Of course, it's a way.
    I don't know if it's possible to make a filter with empty'' directly in the FireWall?
    ........tcp WEBSTR match ....???? something

17. danardf

Bonne année à toi aussi Dick. :laugh: B)

18. dicko

mais non sur le "firewall" directement, but luckily mysql knows about regex's , so a cron job would surely be less than "trivial", that would delete the posts the users and add the "drop" rules. non?

Please remember that I am a pragmatist, not a perfectionist.

pseudocode ( I assume a "join" or two will be needed here ) :-

SELECT userip FROM posts WHERE content REGEXP '^empty';

(do what is needed with the result in ip-tables);

SELECT user FROM posts WHERE content REGEXP '^empty';

(do what you want with the user);

DELETE from posts WHERE content REGEXP '^empty';

c'est tout.

19. Bob

Bob

Dicko,

As you know, the issue is not just with the SPAM but also the speed of the forum, which also translates to the speed of maintenance.

Part of the issue is the current forum software is limited. Yes some of what you have asked for can be shoehorned into current software, but it is not worth writing something for it as it fails to meet the needs on several other areas.

With PHPBB3, a lot more tools have already been written and tested. Furthermore, there is a larger pool to draw from in the case of some custom work on PHPBB3 to implement what you are recommending (which is not a bad idea).

Just for interest, I think it is a few posts back, with the current forum software, due to its limitations, you can't delete a user and have it delete all its posts, whereas the PHPBB3 you can.

Also you can set limits, so that unless they have three posts, they can't post links (possibly attachments as well??). These are all tools that are ready for use once the forum software is up and running.

I appreciate where you coming from, I am deleting SPAM every day as well, but lets give them a chance to implement of which they are 80% there....

Palosanto are working on various items at once. As you know Rafael is not a developer, so his time on this Forum does not detract from Palosanto working on Elastix and some of the bugs you mention

As always :)

Bob

20. dicko

empty/nnBob,

I well know all of what you speak, as I say I'm a pragmatist, I don't expect the well respected Rafael to do anything, we (me and he) identified the issue three months ago it was delegated to Bruno, the fix was simple, it was just never implemented. I can only imagine that the honorable Bruno has been also hugely busy fixing other FU's since august :)

regards

dicko

p.s. for the sensitive, in this case FU stands for "Functionally Unstable" or perhaps more bluntly, "Functionally Unusable" ;)