Sharing Pots Line

Discussion in 'General' started by thczv, Sep 25, 2008.

1. thczv

I have an old Asterisk@Home installation that I want to upgrade, possibly to Elastix. As it is now, I use a SPA3000 for PSTN inbound calls, for emergency (911) calls, and for backup outbound calls (normally outbound calls go through a VoIP provider). What I would like to do is use Elastix to receive faxes on the same POTS line that I use for inbound PSTN calls (keeping my SPA3000 basically as it is). So ideally when a call comes in on my POTS line, Elastix would quickly listen on the call to see if it is a fax. If it is a fax, Elastix answers. If it isn't a fax, Elastix ignores, and my SPA3000 sends the call to my auto-attendant. Do any of you know whether Elastix and my SPA3000 can share the POTS line that way?

2. thczv

What I forgot to mention is that I will use the fax/modem in my Elastix computer to receive the faxes. I don't expect the SPA3000 to let faxes go over IP.

3. jsfix

hey is better to use the ELASTIX IVR insted of use the
    auto attendant of the spa3000.

simple use the spa3000 as trunks and select on elastix the
    extension you want to send faxes if it detects automatically

it can be changed into freepbx general tab.

help=from mexico

4. thczv

That is essentially what I do now, with my old asterisk install. I don't intend to change it. The question is whether I can use the same POTS line for both fax and PSTN inbound voice calls. For example, can I get Elastix to answer fax calls before the Elastix IVR kicks in?

5. thczv

I should clarify: In order to work well, I need fax calls to be answered by the fax modem that is installed in my Elastix machine. But voice calls will need to be routed through my SPA3000, converted to VoIP, and then answered by the Asterisk IVR. The question is whether I can configure Elastix to (a) listen for fax calls on the fax modem and answer them if they are faxes, but (b) if they are not faxes, the fax modem doesn't answer them, and the call is picked up by my SPA 3000 and then routed via SIP to my auto-attendant (the Elastix IVR).

6. jsfix

you cannot use a simple fax modem to answer a fax.

you need a zap card to do that, like a x100p or a clone
    and then you need setup your card in elastix as a trunk

if you intent to pass the fax over your spa3000 converted to a voip.
    the fax may pass or not. depend on the codec it uses. define that
    into the fax passtrought of your spa3000 i recomended to use ulaw
    for fax overip. other codec will not send or pass faxes over ip.

7. thczv

My understanding is that Hylafax will use a fax modem just fine. Doesn't Elastix use Hylafax for receiving faxes?

I don't intend to pay faxes over my spa3000. I don't intend to convert them to voip at all. The idea is that Elastix (using Hylafax with my fax modem) will identify the faxes, and answer fax calls before my spa3000 converts them to voip.