Shared Line Appearance...Yes or No?

Discussion in 'General' started by elastixnewbie, Nov 17, 2010.

1. elastixnewbie

My customer's pbx died last week and I ordered a Sangoma 4 port FXO card, a decent PC (quad core) and 8 Polycom IP 550 phones. For the most part everything is working except that this is a small office and they are used to a key system and shared lines. They want to put a call on hold and pick it up in any other office. I have read the forums here and it seems as though SLA is not supported or not well documented. 3CX seems to be able to do this and my customer is willing to purchase it just for this feature. Before I give up on Elastix I am hoping someone can tell me how to implement this feature.

Thanks

2. jmajors

I also need SLA for an installation. i will have to go with whatever solution offers SLA because the client demands it. Any advice on whether Elastix supports sla in any form?

3. iwaserman

I'm in the same boat.
    Looks like its NOT going to happen or if it will it will negativly affect other parts of the system
    Unfortunatly I've started looking into "closed" voip systems such as AllWorks and TalkSwitch for these applications demanding SLA

4. Lee Sharp

How about call parking?

Forward the call to 700, and it will say "701" or whatever. Pick up any other phone and dial 701, and you have the call. You could program some speed dial keys for 701-704, and have something "like" SLA as far as the customer is concerned.

5. tbooth

This is very easy to duplicate with call parking if you have the correct phones. Register your park orbits (701, 702....etc) under buttons that have LED's. Do this to all of your phones. If your phones have hold buttons that you can re-program (like Snoms do) program them as DTMF ##700#
    Now when you place a call on hold all of your phone that subscribe to those parking lots will have their LED light up to indicated there is a call for them.
    This works great and is the closet thing you will get working correctly to emulate line appearances with Asterisk...any distro.

The SLA that Digium has come up with doesn't work, that's what their saying.