Shared Line Appearance - Polycom phones

Discussion in 'General' started by galaxy, Jun 27, 2010.

1. galaxy

I'm configuring a setup similar to a key system where each trunk appears as a line on each phone. There is a reason for this as there are 3 businesses and 1 fax line (so there's 4 ZAP trunk lines), but each station needs access to all 4 trunks depending on the incoming or outgoing call.

So I've set up asterisk as in: http://www.asterisk.org/node/48342
    and it all makes sense. I see there will be 4 lines on each station. However in Asterisk, there are 5 extensions for each station, one for each of the lines and one general one that would be used if the user picks up a phone before pressing a one of the line buttons. This would automatically hunt for the first open trunk as specified in the sla.conf configuration file.

So where I'm baffled is how to set up the Polycom phones. They're IP650's and have 6 lines each. So I figure the first 4 lines on each phone would correspond to the trunks, i.e. line1 through line4. So on the Polycom, how would that be configured? I see you can have up to 6 registrations corresponding to the 6 line buttons. As per the article above, I see where station1_line1, station1_line2, station1_line3 and station1_line4 would correspond to 4 extensions in asterisk, and would each have their own registration (I'm assuming). But then in addition there is plain old "station1" without any "linen" suffix which is what should be done when the phone is picked up without pressing a line button. How do you configure that? Or am I way off base and not a registration per Polycom "line"? Can anyone point me to the setup of those phones?

Thanks !

2. chito

Hi shared line appearance does not work the same way as it works on a key system. you can not use the lines on a Polycom phone to select a outside (trunk) line. what you can do is make deferent outbound rules which you can select using a prefix for every line, but you will not be able to see from your phone which trunk line is in use. If you want to use elastix you will need to forget about the key system way. If you really need the line select function you better stick with a key system like LG-Nortel.

regards,

3. galaxy

Did you read the link I put in?

http://www.asterisk.org/node/48342

Its clear from the author that Asterisk does do that since March, 2007. It was added (so that it worked) in one of the revisions of version 1.4. Its still in there in 1.6.

The excerpt from the article I'm having trouble with is:

So given the extensions above (4 of them for 3 lines), I'd like to know how to map the extensions to work on the Polycom phones.