setup virtual fax

Discussion in 'General' started by keylogthis, Jun 8, 2009.

1. keylogthis

I am trying to set it up so that I can receive faxes.

I created a virtual fax and an extension. I set the inbound route to NVFax with a 5 second pause. I am able to send faxes but still can not receive them. After that I installed AvantFax using the rpm in the extras repo, but that didn't make a difference. What am I missing?

Any help is appreciated. I don't know if you need my system information or not to help me, just let me know.

2. DaveD

Have you installed NVFax ?. It doesn't come installed as default in Elastix
    The files for NVFax are on the forum just use the search function and grab the files, follow the read me with the files and reboot after install

3. keylogthis

Thank you, that was the problem.

4. ronaldlw

Hello, I've been messing with this for the last few days. I will try to find the NVfax files you reference, but i don't understand why this wouldn't be installed by default? It seems to be a basic option/feature of Elastix (faxing), but it doesn't work. So if there is some compelling reason why it's not installed by default, why isn't there any easy way to find the info needed? Searching the forums for NVFAX results in tons of posts that I'm going to have to dig though to find the right thread, then I'm assuming I'll have to read all of the posts in that thread to figure out what I actually need to do to get it working. Ahhh!

Thanks,
    Ron

5. DaveD

6. ronaldlw

Ouch.. This is what I meant by having to dig through the thread to figure out what I'm supposed to do in order to get nvfaxdetect working! I'm wondering, this post is over a year and a half old and they were talking about being on the verge of including this in the distro, what happened?

I'm not comfortable enough with Elastix to go around compiling something into the system at this point. That's part of why I'm using Elastix and not trying to do Asterisk nativity. I think I'll just use a dedicated DID for faxing, I had hoped to share a spare DID with faxing and a special IVR, but I just don't see that happening if it is this involved to get NVfaxdetect working. No biggie, I just thought it would be as easy as selecting NVFax from the drop down on fax handling.

May I suggest that there be some kind of warning or information that lets a user know that even though you can select NVfax as a detection option, that you have to do more to get it to actually work?

Thanks so much, Elastix is really really cool!!

Ron

7. keylogthis

The instructions are in the archive. Basically you just SCP the files over to the right location and then you are done if you set everything else up already. I agree with you though about it being included in the release or having a warning about it. I tried to get it working for hours before posting here. It shouldn't even be an option in Elastix if it doesn't come with it. It would have saved me a great deal of time if they didn't have it as an option or had a warning that it needed to be installed. Or like you said, easiest way is to just include it in the release.

8. ronaldlw

"the instructions are in the archive" where??? What archive? Archive of what? The link that DaveD gave points to one file, not files. What is the "right location" to put these "files"? The thread DaveD gave talks about modifying menuselect-deps.in. It also talks about (earlier in the thread) modifying source code running make to rebuild asterisk.. There seem to be a lot of conflicting information. I know I'm probably just dense, but I just don't get it.

Thanks,
    Ron

9. dicko

Sometimes one has to look through more than one return from your searches, This post from our esteemed ramnoncio and the rest of the thread will hopefully relieve your frustrations, give a little insight and get you up and working.

http://www.elastix.org/index.php?option ... t=10#20402

10. ronaldlw

thanks dicko!

I actually looked at a LOT of returns, all 50+ of them, from my searches, but there was a LOT of differing, seemingly incompatible information. Plus some of them were really old, like the link DaveD gave to the "files". (I still don't understand that, are those really files? I only see one file when I downloaded it, did i pick the wrong link?) It's pretty hard, at least for me, to figure out what info is still relevant to the current release.

I am using the 64bit version so I assume I need to use this method given by arrebucio?
    http://www.elastix.org/index.php?option ... t=30#22507

Thanks again dicko, I can tell from your posts that you are a huge help to the Elastix community!!

Ron

P.S. how do you insert a text box that keeps links from wrapping?? that's too cool!

11. dicko

Your Welcome, and thanks for the compliment.

Yes you will need to recompile the source code for 64bit OS, these precompiled (.so) files are for 32bits.

I believe kudos should go to arrebucio's post penultimate to your link to ramoncio's for making it relatively easy.

Briefly the application(s) are originally source code (the .c files) they need compiling and linking into applications (.so files) the whole thing is neatly wrapped up in make menuselect from the source code tree root, (asterisk add-ons).

Originally there was some question about the licensing of the NV applications that precluded their inclusion in asterisk per-se these seem to be resolved after a brief perusal of the code so I agree that unless there are other reasons not to it would be good to have these apps in Elastix.

This forum software sucks but for a partial solution to posting non formatted text try wrapping your text in
    Code:
     [code] and (with only one /) [//code] 
    tags.

(screw the formatting I hope you get the concept)

12. ronaldlw

dicko,
    Thanks for the additional information, that really helps! I hope this can be included in the distro soon, it sure would make things a lot easier.

Really though, it's amazing what all Elastix can do I'm glad that I became aware of it here at my new job. I've worked with other proprietary pbxs and they left a lot to be desired, especially considering how much they cost. Super Kudos to all the people here that make this possible!!

I agree, the forum software is a problem. I've had to retype from scratch several posts because I guess it times out or something and I am no longer logged in when I press submit. I've learned to copy the message text before hand now.

Thanks again,
    Ron

P.S. you don't happen to have any insight into my question about fax pooling?