Setup for hardware

Discussion in 'General' started by jim.thornton, Mar 9, 2009.

1. jim.thornton

I have purchased the following hardware:
    - Dell Tower Server 2.4 Quad-core Xeon
    - 4GB Ram
    - 2x500GB HDD
    - Raid Controller to be configured (I believe RAID-10 -- meaning redundant backup??)

- 24 port switch
    - Non Digium TDM400? card (3 FXO, 1 FSO for fax)

- I plan on running this system from my home. I have Rogers Extreme cable right now and cannot get a Static IP with them (can use dynamic dns though). Or... I have found a DSL provider in my area that will allow a Static IP address, but I'm not sure if the DSL will provide enough bandwidth.

- I would like to have a PBX that supports outside extensions. For example, when I hire someone, I want them to work from home. I would like the ability to setup an extension in my system that could forward to a PSTN phone number that they have OR a SIP phone that I provide them.

- I would like to also have the system handle incoming and outgoing faxes. I would like to buy a DID from somewhere and then assign that to my reps. The rep could use this as their dedicated fax number and all faxes received on this number would be emailed to them or they could check them out on the server. I would also like the ability to fax from email by attaching a PDF file.

**** what is the best way to go about what I have mentioned. I think I have everything I need (except the SIP phones for now). I'm very new to VOIP/Asterisk and have never had a system working yet, so please don't flame me.

Here is what I would like to do with it:
    I was thinking of running virualization software, but I don't know if I should. I want to run a webserver for a SugarCRM instance

2. danardf

Hi, jim.thornton.

OK for the RAID 1, because I thing that for RAID 10 you muste have 4 Hard disk! RAID 10 = RAID 0 + RAID 1 or vis versa.

[​IMG]

1 To HD!!!! :side: It's very large.

Prefer the RAID 5. (3 Hard disk minimum)
    [​IMG]

You can use DynDNS.

For your bandwidth, all depends on the number of communications in the same time.
    You can take your bandwidth and divide it by the codec used, and you know the possibles number of communications .

Refer to this link: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+codecs

Yes, I it's possible.

No, prefer the hardware solution, is better. ;)

3. jim.thornton

Thank you for answers. It must have been RAID-5 that I thought I had. I have 2 hard disks and the hardward controller duplicates the first HDD onto the second.

Right now, the simutaneous connections would only be one or two at the very most. As I grow my outside sales force I would grow the system using load balancing. I haven't bought that text book yet :D

I was only thinking Virtualization (vmware) so that each system could be configured for optimal efficency. I would assume that Asterisk likes to run under different environment settings as Apache/MySQL.

Is Elastix the best choice for me in your opinion? I understand that there is going to be a learning curve with any VOIP installation, but I need something with as little as possible.

Also... Is my hardware configuation good enough to run a smooth system? I'm probably going to run 711 as I need good phone quality.

4. danardf

IF you have only 2 HD, prefer the mirroring (Raid 1)
    The Raid 10 = 4 HD (2x2 HD).
    Like you want....:huh:

2 Calls?... With G711µ or G711a, (68kb/s + 20Kb x 2 = 176K/s Max, up and down with a bandwidth stable)
    Use the QoS on your router.

On VMWare, you must have (sometimes) some problem quality's sounds. But, you can always try it.

Yes of course, ELastix seems the better solution for you. For help, you can read this document here (Elastix Without Tears)... It's very very complet.

5. jim.thornton

I'll read that book.

Thank you.

6. ramoncio

Wellcome to this forums, Jim!

I think this Dell server is oversized for a home system.
    It could handle hundreds of extensions and lines even with transcoding.
    Quad core is not needed, with a cheap core2duo would be more than enough for your needs.
    Same with 4 gb RAM, and hard drive size, even monitoriong all your calls.
    RAID 1 would be ok.
    Hardware is cheap now, but you could have saved a good money.

How many external agents will connect simultaneously? This is the main point.
    The main bottleneck will be your intenet connection if you plan to have several remote extensions.
    This is where you really need to put your money on.
    Qos is a must if you don't use the internet connection exclusively for VoIP.

Have a look at Avantfax and Winprint Hylafax for faxing.

7. jim.thornton

I had a feeling that it was going to be oversized but honestly, I'd rather too much than too little. I know that SugarCRM is quite demanding on a system so this way I figured I would kill it.

As for the connection/usage:
    - To start not very many external extentions (just two or three).
    - I hope to grow this to 5 to 10 by the end of the year and 15 to 20 by the end of 2010
    - Is DSL better for VOIP or cable? Or, will it matter at this point.

My system is going to run Linux, not Windows. Are those faxing solutions you gave compatible with Linux?

8. ramoncio

9. danardf

Of course..
    For exemple I have an Elastix server with:
    2 Go RAM,
    1 HD 300Go,
    1 AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+

Only 10 Extenstions (2 external).

I use My Elastix server to other use (Domotic X10.. IP camera..Etc)..

No problem!!!

In same time... Hi Ramoncio. I'm happy to see your photo. :)

10. ramoncio

Hi danarf!
    Rafael asked me for a photo to put in the December community member post, and I reduced it to use it as avatar.
    I saw some of you were putting your photos, and I'm not too ugly to be ashamed. ;)

11. danardf

No, that's right Ramoncio. Like that, it's better to put a photo on a name, no?

12. jim.thornton

13. ramoncio

You just need to fill in the number of simultaneous calls you want to achieve and the codec you are going to use in the two first fields at the left.
    And the result is the last field on the right:
    BANDWIDTH WITH OVERHEAD: Kbps

This is the Kbps your internet connection needs (both upload and download), and as stable as possible, to get the calls done right.

For remote connections you might get some g729 licenses, if your hardware doesn't support it natively, and you need to do transcoding.

14. jim.thornton

g711 is the best quality?

g729 is this good? I need the best quality I can get... Meaning, little to no pockets of silence.

15. ramoncio

g711 is good. Is the same codec used for traditional telephony.
    g729 is worse, but not too bad. More metallic.
    Depending on your internet speed and your maximux simultaneous calls you will have to use one or the other.

16. danardf

There's also the GSM codec.
    Some telephone running with this codec.
    For exemple: IP-PHONE AR1688
    [​IMG]

17. ramoncio

Also most of mobile phones use gsm codec.
    This is worse quality than g729, but lower bandwidth.

18. danardf

Worse than the G729?
    For me, no. It's the same quality +/-.

It's sure, this is not the HiFi, but the phone is enough. :)

19. jim.thornton

I guess the big question is... Will these codec be good enough for business use. I don't mind "cell phone" quality as long as it is constant (meaning not droping calls, words or syllables). Also, I can't have it echoing.

Is it possible to configure these codecs for this?

I think that clear calls (no echoing/dropping) would be more important that the sound. That said, there would have to be a decent sound quality too.

Can I acheive this with the g729 or GSM?

20. ramoncio

Yes. But the main point is your internet connection. The fastest and more stable, the less problems.
    And also the VoIP provider you use. There are different prices and qualities, but most of them are perfectly hearable.
    I have a ADSL here 20Mb/1MB and I don't have problems at all, but I use it lightly, maximum 2/3 simultaneous calls using alaw.
    The traffic is simmetric so you need the same upload/download. According to the calculator, if I use g.711 alaw , 10 simultaneous calls would take BANDWIDTH WITH OVERHEAD: 840 Kbps
    My real upload speed is never 1Mb. Usually it is more than 800Kbps. So for 3 calls I don't need to use g729.
    But using QoS on your router is a MUST for good quality.