Setting up PSTN Trunk

charliefunkuk

Hi everyone.

Ill repost this as had no reply to my first post :(

I have set up an Elastix box which seems to work perfectly with my SIP trunks without any problems.

I am now trying to introduce my one single BT line into the system. I have added a Zap trunk ZAP/1 and I have also defined a Zap Channel Did in FreePBX 1:01296******

I have created an inbound route and put "1" in the DID Number field. I have also asked this to ring ALL extensions.

When I call in on that BT number Elastix picks up the call and says this line is not in service.

Any ideas where I maybe going wrong?

Many thanks in advancde for any help.

Neil

andyshawn

Hey Neil,

I don't fully understand your setup, but i will try to assist.

I am assuming that when you say your BT line, you are talking just a regular phone line?
How is this line connected to the elastix server? Are you using a single X100p card or a 4 port FXO card from digium or sangoma? Give us more info on the FXO card that you are using?
Also, when you login to the elastix server, is the card found under hardware detector?

charliefunkuk

Hey andy,

thanks for the reply. Yes I am using a Digium card with 4 FXO ports on it. It is detected ok by Elastix. If I make a call into it and look on the flash operator panel it shows a call being made into that FXO port no problems.

Elastix picks up the call and says the number is not in service. So basically anyone calling into me on that number gets told the number isnt in service.

And yes you are right the line is a standard BT POTS line.

Hope this helps.

Neil

charliefunkuk

Any idea anyone? :(

dicko

Try putting

01296******

in your inbound route. that is the DID , 1 is the channel number

charliefunkuk

Hey Dicko, thanks for reply

I already have done that so thats not the answer I dont think :( any other ideas?

Many thanks

Neil

dicko

Unless you have changed things you said

I have created an inbound route and put "1" in the DID Number field. I have also asked this to ring ALL extensions.

This is incorrect,

I assume you have also setup the trunks to be in the from-zaptel context (reference "Elastix Without Tears")

You should start with a catchall inbound route as you debug.

charliefunkuk

Hi mate,

yes I have set it up as a Zaptel trunk.

As for debugging you would need to tell me detailed instructions on what to do as I know VERY little :(

I also have a door intercom I am trying to get working. This connects also to a TRUNK port of my elastix box. Again when I press the buzzer on the door intercom phone I can see a ringing signal coming in from the Flash Operator Panel, but it doesnt do anything else. So somewhere I seem to be setting Trunks up incorrectly I think.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Neil

dicko

Actually charliefunkuk,

I don't "need to tell me detailed instructions on what to do" :)

It works for everybody else so I suggest that charliefunkuk needs to do a little more "due diligence" and maybe spend a little more time R'ing the FM's

I sympathize that you know very little yet, but you will after you invest your time and effort to so acquire that knowledge.

regards

dicko

charliefunkuk

Your right you dont have to do anything, but I came to a forum called "help" for help. Ive read Elastix without tears many times and done humpteen googles on my problem with no luck. It pains me to not be able to suss a problem out myself, so the only reason I am asking on here is because I was stuck. With a forum called "help" i thought I would be barking up the right tree!

dicko

What I mean about the self-help bit is that you basically just posted that "it's not working", after you do some reading you will find many posts here where it is patiently asked that the poster should post the configuration of his server, and routing and the output of his diagnostics, and what those diagnostic procedures should be, I'm sure you will get more help after you do that .

charliefunkuk

Ok I have spent another full day playing around with this elastix box and seriously am stuck with getting it working. Id appreciate anyones help as sadly I am not the expert in these things and thats why I have come here. Ask me about engineering and I will answer anything you like but not when it comes to this thing :(

So in an attempt to get some information that might help someone and after taking 2 hours to find how to get this output here is some info that might help someone diagnose:-

phone*CLI> -- Starting simple switch on 'DAHDI/2-1'
No such command ' -- Starting simple switch on 'DAHDI/2-1'' (type 'help -- Starting' for other possible commands)
phone*CLI> -- Executing [s@from-pstn:1] NoOp("DAHDI/2-1", "No DID or CID Match") in new stack
No such command ' -- Executing [s@from-pstn:1] NoOp("DAHDI/2-1", "No DID or CID Match") in new stack' (type 'help -- Executing' for other possible commands)
phone*CLI> -- Executing [s@from-pstn:2] Answer("DAHDI/2-1", "") in new stack
No such command ' -- Executing [s@from-pstn:2] Answer("DAHDI/2-1", "") in new stack' (type 'help -- Executing' for other possible commands)
phone*CLI> -- Executing [s@from-pstn:3] Wait("DAHDI/2-1", "2") in new stack
phone*CLI> -- Executing [s@from-pstn:4] Playback("DAHDI/2-1", "ss-noservice") in new stack
phone*CLI> -- <DAHDI/2-1> Playing 'ss-noservice' (language 'en')
phone*CLI> == Spawn extension (from-pstn, s, 4) exited non-zero on 'DAHDI/2-1'
phone*CLI> -- Executing [h@from-pstn:1] Hangup("DAHDI/2-1", "") in new stack
phone*CLI> == Spawn extension (from-pstn, h, 1) exited non-zero on 'DAHDI/2-1'
phone*CLI> -- Hungup 'DAHDI/2-1'
No such command ' -- Executing [s@from-pstn:3] Wait("DAHDI/2-1", "2") in new stack' (type 'help -- Executing' for other possible commands)
No such command ' -- Executing [s@from-pstn:4] Playback("DAHDI/2-1", "ss-noservice") in new stack' (type 'help -- Executing' for other possible commands)
No such command ' -- <DAHDI/2-1> Playing 'ss-noservice' (language 'en')' (type 'help -- <DAHDI/2-1>' for other possible commands)
No such command ' == Spawn extension (from-pstn, s, 4) exited non-zero on 'DAHDI/2-1'' (type 'help == Spawn' for other possible commands)
No such command ' -- Executing [h@from-pstn:1] Hangup("DAHDI/2-1", "") in new stack' (type 'help -- Executing' for other possible commands)
No such command ' == Spawn extension (from-pstn, h, 1) exited non-zero on 'DAHDI/2-1'' (type 'help == Spawn' for other possible commands)
No such command ' -- Hungup 'DAHDI/2-1'' (type 'help -- Hungup' for other possible commands)
phone*CLI> phone*CLI>
No such command 'phone*CLI>' (type 'help phone*CLI>' for other possible commands)
phone*CLI>

I have a door intercom phone which also connects to the FXO port of my box and I get a similar problem there in that Elastix answers and says "this number is not in service".

I have set up the following prior to trying this:-

1) In FreePBX I created a Zap Channel Did (No 2 in this case) with both fields showing the phone number of my standard british telecom line (Description and DID).

2) I had also created a Zap trunk called ZAP/2 setting the Zap Identifier (trunk name) as 2

3) Created an inbound route to ring ALL extensions with the Description field as my phone number and the DID number as 2.

I hope this will be enough info for someone to help.

Look forward to and appreciate any help

Neil

fraggle4

The basic troubleshooting step on the trunk would be just to remove the DID/CID entries so that you have an any DID/Any CID inbound route that will go to the destination regardless. Your log is actually saying that there is something wrong with the DID/CID settings.
If that works, then you can take it from there.

charliefunkuk

Thanks for reply

I already have 2 sip trunks working fine, its just these landlines im struggling with. So assuming i already have sip trunks setup, would your idea still work?

Neil

dicko

I believe you are pasting something spurious into the CLI, rather than following the other advice that suggest you just call the DID number and watch what happens at the CLI and post that output.

You might want to set up an inbound route in your step three that actually matches the DID you defined in your step one and understand that a DID is not the same concept (in the form of engineering we do here anyway ;) ) as a trunk.

(ref: http://www.elastix.org/component/kunena ... g=en#61496)

But yes the ALL CID all DID will also work.

fraggle4

I have three analog lines going to a Ring Group via an any cid/any did route. I have a fourth analog line directly to a fax extension via a zap did.
None of this affects my SIP or Skype inbound routes, which I have going to other destinations.

charliefunkuk

you might want to set up an inbound route in your step three that actually matches the DID you defined in your step one and understand that a DID is not the same concept (in the form of engineering we do here anyway ) as a trunk.
Any chance you can explain that? To my little knowledge I have done that right? If not what have I done wrong?

charliefunkuk

Unfortunately I cannot now try anything else until I get into my office in the morning. So any info to get me going in morning would be really helpful.

Thank you

dicko

You VERY specifically posted:-

3) Created an inbound route to ring ALL extensions with the Description field as my phone number and the DID number as 2.

I can but tell you as I have been trying to for several days. that 2 is NOT your DID number (nor is 1 or 3 or 4 !), Your DID number should reflect your Direct Inward Dial Number and should reflect EXACTLY how you defined it within your from-zaptel context, if you would just do that then your inbound routes will just work, it is just a pseudo artifact that will allow you to differentiate between your FXO trunks where the DID is generally intrinsic to the trunk that is ringing and so send that signal to your desired destination, if you want to be obstinate and "do it all wrong" then define an inbound route for 2 to suit.

If your telco gave you 2 then I suggest they lied to you, unless you are the only person still in England to be behind a GPO crossbar system circa 1955, the UK bit in your monica suggests it is more likely, 01296****** i.e. it is provided by BT from an exchange in Aylesbury, Cheddington, Grendon Underwood, Mursley, North Marston, Wendover or Winslow. as you originally posted, if a party wants to call charliefunkuk they will dial that number (if they dial 2 it is unlikely to ring you), does that help?. Have you even tried to use that ? just like it says in "Elastix Without Tears"?, seriously my friend it really works for everyone else, that this level of engineering is above you as yet, just again leaves me to suggest that you REALLY need to read it all again, something is just not gelling for you., sorry if I sound a little grumpy, it's because I am.

charliefunkuk

Hi Dicko,

many thanks for your reply, as ever its appreciated.

Without wishing to sound ungrateful for tapping into your expert knowledge, you have to understand that YOU are the expert here, and in the main part people post to this help forum to hopefully gain some advice from your experience. What seem relatively simple and day to day tasks to you, are often not so plain sailing for the likes of us who are not knowledgeable in this subject.

I sometimes feel you are a little patronising when you send people away to read this or read that to gain an answer to a question you know the answer to immediately. I totally get your angle that its better for people to learn along the way with a bit of encouragement and guidance, but we are not school kids doing a project for school, most of us sadly lead lives that are far too busy for our own good, and are just looking for some quick answers to get us going. The internet is full of millions of message boards offering just that, and most of the time there is someone willing to give an answer to a problem without any dramas. Ive read lots of other posts on here, and I feel that you often portray a feeling that we are all incompetent because we "dont know". As I said this is your field and its great you are here giving people your wealth of experience. I am sure there are subject matters to which you have no knowledge at all and forums could one day be your saving grace.

Just as an example........my posts here. I am sure you knew the answer to my dilema early on in my postings, but instead you felt it better for me to go away and read manuals and posts to find the answer myself (just for the record I have read Elastic without Tears more times than I wish to count now)and spend many hours of really precious time doing so.

I am not only none the wiser, but I am also much more frustrated with the whole thing. If time was of no concern I would gladly have my head in books to learn the subject thoroughly. I think most of the people posting here are hoping that simple problems can have a simple answer. That said I realise some problems are not a case of a quick reply to sort, but need lots of expert input and feedback to reach a conclusion.

I also realise there are lots of paid support options available via this site, and I have considered them, but I believe the internet is so good because, in the main part, there are lots of people willing to share there knowledge with beginners.

They are just my thoughts and I hope you do not take any offence at them. Im just saying it how I see it and not trying to antagonize anyone in any way. Ive seen a few posters blow up and get abusive because the help wasnt instant. I am not doing that, I am just trying to convey my point on all of this and hope you take on board my point that you can often sound a little patronising in your posts.

Again many thanks for your valuable help and I will report back when I have tried the suggestions.

All best

Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dineshr