Setting up a callback service

igor

Dear all,

I am very new to VOIP telephony, but over the past few days I've been reading up a lot on voip-info.org and books on Asterisk. My ultimate goal is to setup a voip server with callback functionality. For instance, if I want to make a low cost international call, I would call my voip server, which would hang up on me, call me back via voip, ask me for a number to dial, call that number via voip and connect me.

I'm wondering if this is possible to do with Elastix/Asterisk and what do I need to get started. I know this is a huge topic and I'm just looking for confirmation that I'm going in the right direction.

From what I've gathered so far, I need:
* An Asterisk server (Elastix)
* A wildcard, such as TDM400P
* A normal phone line to be plugged into the TDM400P
* A broadband internet access (ADSL line)

So far, I've built a box from spare pieces and got Elastix running on it.

Could someone please let me know if I'm headed in the right direction and where can I find some more resources on setting up a callback service as described above.

Thanks in advance!
-igor<br><br>Post edited by: igor, at: 2007/11/24 19:24

CleveJ

igor said:
Dear all,

I am very new to VOIP telephony, but over the past few days I've been reading up a lot on voip-info.org and books on Asterisk. My ultimate goal is to setup a voip server with callback functionality. For instance, if I want to make a low cost international call, I would call my voip server, which would hang up on me, call me back via voip, ask me for a number to dial, call that number via voip and connect me.

I'm wondering if this is possible to do with Elastix/Asterisk and what do I need to get started. I know this is a huge topic and I'm just looking for confirmation that I'm going in the right direction.

From what I've gathered so far, I need:
* An Asterisk server (Elastix)
* A wildcard, such as TDM400P
* A normal phone line to be plugged into the TDM400P
* A broadband internet access (ADSL line)

So far, I've built a box from spare pieces and got Elastix running on it.

Could someone please let me know if I'm headed in the right direction and where can I find some more resources on setting up a callback service as described above.

Thanks in advance!
-igor<br><br>Post edited by: igor, at: 2007/11/24 19:24
Here is a callback Tutorial

CleveJ

.<br><br>Post edited by: Stilllearning, at: 2007/11/28 00:16

henry

You only need the TDM card if you have or need analog telephone lines. If you have an ITSP supply you with a
VoIP line and you have a DSL or Cable modem service you are "off to the races" so here is what you need to start.....
A DSL or Cable Internet connection (faster the better)
A PC with a network card and Elastix loaded (from an ISO image)
A small 4 x port router
A cheap SIP phone (Grandstream 101 or gxp200 if you want to get some business features)
An Internet Telephone Service Provider (ITSP)
who will supply you with a SIP or IAX (prefered) protocol DID
This is all you need ....
Have fun

Henry

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colak