Setting Trunk To Outbound Only

Discussion in 'General' started by fmarinonj, Sep 7, 2009.

1. fmarinonj

Not sure if this is possible, but I would like to have one of my trunks designated for outbound only. If a call comes in on that particular trunk, I would like to have it ignored by the system. Is this possible? If so, does anyone know how to configure this?

Thanks.

2. Patrick_elx

what kind of truck are you using?

One easy way is to route this trunk to an inbound route that will hangup.

3. fmarinonj

I'm using a zap trunk.

I am running a home business and have a SIP line for my incoming calls, but would like to use my POTS home line for outgoing. This way I don't have a per minute charge for outbound calls. I get 3000 minutes per month inbound on the SIP line for free, but need to pay for outbound calls.

I can't just have the trunk hang up because it is my home phone number.

Thanks.

4. Patrick_elx

If I understand well you have another analog phone connected to your POTS, and you want to be able to use the POTS in outbound, but when an inbound call arrive, the analog phone should ring, but it should not be routed to your pbx?

I have the same setup with a POTS i'm using for fax inbound on an analog fax, and outbound only for local calls or 911 from the pbx.

If you do a hangup in an asterisk context on a zap channel it will not end the call, your analog phone will continue to ring, but the pbx will not answer the line. As said before, try to route your inbound route from this trunk to hangup. You'll see in the CLI that asterisk see the call and hangup, but your analog phone connected in parallel to the pbx will continue to ring and you'll be able to answer the call.

Another solution for you would be to add your analog home phone to your pbx (with an fxs card or an ATA) and route this inbound trunk to your home extension instead of your business ones. You will then benefit from the advanced IVR features, time condition, telemarketer filtering of elastix for your home also.

5. fmarinonj

That sounds like a good solution. However, I looked through the GUI and can't find a way to do this. Can you give me the details on how to accomplish this?

Thanks.

6. Patrick_elx

in unembeded freepbx, go to zap channel DID. Assign a DID to each zap channel.

In inbound route, create a new route for the DID assigned to the zap channel you want, and choose the destination as hangup.

save and apply.

7. fmarinonj

To get the changes to work, I had to make a change in my zapata-channels.conf file.

I commented the context=from-pstn out and replaced it with context=from-zaptel.
    See below:

;;; line="4 WCTDM/0/3 FXSKS (In use)"
    signalling=fxs_ks
    callerid=asreceived
    group=0
    ; context=from-pstn
    context = from-zaptel
    channel => 4
    context=default

After doing this, it seems to work properly. Do you know of anything I need to watch out for by making this change, or will everything continue to work as it should?

Thanks so much for your help.

8. Patrick_elx

Sorry about that, I assumed that your zap channel was already working.

No, there's nothing else to take care about. I would however suggest that you keep a log of the changes that you are doing. It's useful after a crash or an update that erased some of your config to have everything at hand to check that your long debug session are not repeated again ;-)

Also some regular backups (I like clonezilla live cd for that)

Now the next step is to switch your house phone to the pbx system to let your family enjoy the personalized ivr for each person, and block the children's bedroom phone after 10pm :)

9. fmarinonj

The zap channel was working before the change. That is why I was a little concerned about changing the context.

I wish I could convince the wife to make the change. I have tried on several occasions, but she won't buy into it. She is a bit of a technophobe.

Thanks again for your help.

10. Patrick_elx

You can put your home phone through the pbx, she won't notice the difference on standard use. If she doesn't want to use any of the pbx features, that's fine. She does not need to. Just program your pbx to give basic functionality on her extension.

But for you that's nice to be able to transfer your call to another extension. ;-)

Good luck.