Server recommendation

Discussion in 'General' started by hinzinho, Mar 2, 2011.

1. hinzinho

I know Elastix/Asterisk can be installed on any machine, but I would like to know which brand/model do people use? The reason why is because I have tested on three machines, Dell T110, HP ML110 and a custom machine with a Gigabyte's GA-EP43-UD3L motherboard. All three machines have issue assigning separate IRQ for the Digium card(s). Any recommendation?

Thanks!

2. fmvillares

i use only ibm servers but if you dont know abour irq issues and how to modify kernels etc its useless

3. Lee Sharp

1) Intel chipsets are the only ones that fully and totally support the PCI and PCI-x protocals. Many other chipsets have timming issues. Found this out in video capture cards the hard way.

2) Turn off everything not needed in the BIOS. (Serial ports, USB...) Easier to assign IRQs that way.

4. fmvillares

thats one of the reasons for using only gateway in professional installs

5. hinzinho

I would like to take a quick poll. Do people use gateway (such as AudioCodes MP-118) or PCI/e card for business environment deployment? Just want to see how the professional are doing it.

Thanks for your time.

6. fmvillares

im only using redfones or quintum tenor dx for digital lines and quintum tenor ax and audiocodes mp 11x or 12x for FXS FXS

7. Lee Sharp

All of the above. :) I like internal cards. But good cards on a good system. You can get around that with a gateway, but a bad system will be a problem at some point anyway.

8. fmvillares

the problem with cards and professional installs is simple you cant have by any means HA or fault tolerance...thus cards are only for simple limited functionality no high availability or fault tolerance systems...(in limited functionality i mean...with any failure you will have real downtime)

9. danardf

Hi Fernando. I fully agree with you :)
    Many advantage to use it.

10. danardf

Remember that a card can generate 1000 IRQ/s. If you put a second card, think at the CPU and mother board. This mothers board could support this flow?
    If you take a gateway, I think that you could not have any problem.
    If a card gonna break down, you must make a shutdown your server for several minutes. With a gateway, the server will always up.

11. fmvillares

hi franck long time no see you...BTW thanx for all the support in the "dark" mails...count with me for anything you need

12. danardf

No Problem Fernando.
    Don't forget to make some test with RoomX and give your comments. ;)

13. fmvillares

ok but remember i dont have any hotel or hospitality sysetm to try in real environments...only developer like testing ...