Server Needs Reboot Every Few Days

Discussion in 'General' started by r1200gs, Sep 8, 2009.

1. r1200gs

Our Elastix server seems to need a reboot every few days or it starts to fail. If it goes too long then the system gets too busy to log in.

I am not sure what to look for or how I can tell what else might be wrong.

2. dicko

the standard linux for displaying the current state of your box (everything from bash):

free
    ps
    fuser

are there already

yum install sysstat

(RTM)
    (RTM again)

then you have some more tools for historical and trend reporting, (terse documentation, but complete reporting, that's linux for you :) )

sar
    mpstat
    iostat

(and yes, you have a rogue process somewhere, who knows what, linux itself is very good at process/memory control, all installations are intrinsically unique, but these tools will help you you identify the mis-behaved)

3. r1200gs

I think that it was the op_server.pl proxy for the Flash Panel process that was chewing up all the CPU.
    I stopped it with the amportal stop_fop command and the system went from busy to quiet.
    I have not been able to get in when it was really busy because the system is all tied up but I did notice that the it seems to be running way too often in top.

There are a few files that configure this process, does anyone have a good doc they can recommend on tuning this up?

The config file in /var/www/html/panel says it should be polling every 120 seconds, I do not think that it is using that setting.

4. r1200gs

Another thought, if this is my problem, why is this process running all the time even if no one has the screen up. Shouldn't this process run through xinetd?