Server board needs network drivers installed

Discussion in 'General' started by Strybes, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Strybes

Hi All
    I'm a real newbie at this.
    I have a Intel Server Board SE7221BA1-E that I have been able to load Elastix on. When I first start the maching and it goes through it's start up proceses, it says the cable isn't connected or no Etho is avaialble. It gives a Failed message. I thought this was because I needed to make the IP static. So I go into netconfig and put in the details. I then try and use another computer on the same network to open up a web page on the machine using the IP address it was allocated, but it never works.
    I'm starting to think that because i haven't loaded the network drivers on the server board, the network isn't working. The reason i suspect this is that when you load Windows, you have to then load the drivers. How do you add the drivers, if Elastix is on the machine. I can't seem to do it from the disc via dos.
    Any ideas or am i doing it all wrong. Maybe Elasix won't work on a server board.

2. danardf

If you haven't eth0 (see ifconfig -a result), it's that you haven't the eth device driver.

Put an old eth card as (3COM, or other realtek), and try to download the good driver, and installing it.

3. Strybes

Thanks danardf
    I thought of the same and installed a eth card. I still couldn't get an Ip, but eventually worked it out. I had to change my router to DHCP and my laptop with a static IP in order for it to pickup the computer. Once I worked out the IP the elastix was being allocated, I could enter the Web URL and change the setting.
    I still do not know how to enter the driver though for the motherboard's eth. I have the driver disc, that normally runs off windows, but no idea even if I found the driver, how to load it on to the machine with elastix. Any ideas from anybody would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Strybes

4. danardf

I don't know how do install your driver, but for my Realtek Eth device, I had this problem. And in the realtek web site, there was a procedure to install it.
    Maybe if you go to the intel web site you have a procedure to install on Linux?

for exemple (for my realtek):
    • # make clean modules (as root or with sudo)
      # make install
      # depmod -a
      # insmod ./src/r8169.ko
      # lsmod | grep r8169
      # ifconfig -a
      # ifconfig ethX up

5. Chilling_Silence

Hi Strybes, welcome to the Elastix forums.

A quick Google turns up the Intel Website with the Technical Specifications PDF. This reveals the motherboard has an Intel® 82551QM Integrated 10/100 LAN controller.

You dont add drivers to a Linux box general, as the kernel comes with support. Try logging in as root and running:
    modprobe e100
    Or:
    modprobe e1000

I think that those are the drivers required.

What happens if you run:
    ifconfig eth0 down
    ifconfig eth0 192.168.X.X
    Where X.X is the IP range you're on, perhaps the IP Address of your current PC +1 (Sorry, Im not too sure how networking savvy you are).

Then from another machine, ping the elastix box. Does it work?

It is my understanding from a very quick Google that the 82551QM has had linux support since back in 2.2.X and the last Intel driver release was many years ago for a 2.4.X kernel and is no longer maintained because the drivers shipped with the vanilla kernel suffice :)