Server board needs network drivers installed

Strybes

Hi All
I'm a real newbie at this.
I have a Intel Server Board SE7221BA1-E that I have been able to load Elastix on. When I first start the maching and it goes through it's start up proceses, it says the cable isn't connected or no Etho is avaialble. It gives a Failed message. I thought this was because I needed to make the IP static. So I go into netconfig and put in the details. I then try and use another computer on the same network to open up a web page on the machine using the IP address it was allocated, but it never works.
I'm starting to think that because i haven't loaded the network drivers on the server board, the network isn't working. The reason i suspect this is that when you load Windows, you have to then load the drivers. How do you add the drivers, if Elastix is on the machine. I can't seem to do it from the disc via dos.
Any ideas or am i doing it all wrong. Maybe Elasix won't work on a server board.

danardf

If you haven't eth0 (see ifconfig -a result), it's that you haven't the eth device driver.

Put an old eth card as (3COM, or other realtek), and try to download the good driver, and installing it.

Strybes

Thanks danardf
I thought of the same and installed a eth card. I still couldn't get an Ip, but eventually worked it out. I had to change my router to DHCP and my laptop with a static IP in order for it to pickup the computer. Once I worked out the IP the elastix was being allocated, I could enter the Web URL and change the setting.
I still do not know how to enter the driver though for the motherboard's eth. I have the driver disc, that normally runs off windows, but no idea even if I found the driver, how to load it on to the machine with elastix. Any ideas from anybody would be appreciated.
Thanks
Strybes

danardf

I don't know how do install your driver, but for my Realtek Eth device, I had this problem. And in the realtek web site, there was a procedure to install it.
Maybe if you go to the intel web site you have a procedure to install on Linux?

for exemple (for my realtek):
  • # make clean modules (as root or with sudo)
    # make install
    # depmod -a
    # insmod ./src/r8169.ko
    # lsmod | grep r8169
    # ifconfig -a
    # ifconfig ethX up

Chilling_Silence

Hi Strybes, welcome to the Elastix forums.

A quick Google turns up the Intel Website with the Technical Specifications PDF. This reveals the motherboard has an Intel® 82551QM Integrated 10/100 LAN controller.

You dont add drivers to a Linux box general, as the kernel comes with support. Try logging in as root and running:
modprobe e100
Or:
modprobe e1000

I think that those are the drivers required.

What happens if you run:
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 192.168.X.X
Where X.X is the IP range you're on, perhaps the IP Address of your current PC +1 (Sorry, Im not too sure how networking savvy you are).

Then from another machine, ping the elastix box. Does it work?

It is my understanding from a very quick Google that the 82551QM has had linux support since back in 2.2.X and the last Intel driver release was many years ago for a 2.4.X kernel and is no longer maintained because the drivers shipped with the vanilla kernel suffice :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeljag_19