Sendmail high load - nothing in sendmail queue

kingjm

I have an install running on a openvz vps. I has been in production for two months. Two days ago the load on the vps has been increasing. I have narrowed it down to Sendmail. When I stop the service all returns normal.

The Sendmail queue is empty. I don't know why sendmail is increasing the load. Any ideas on what I can check.

/usr/sbin/sendmail -bp returns no mail in queue.

kingjm

mailstats reveals

tatistics from Thu Mar 24 11:37:08 2011
M msgsfr bytes_from msgsto bytes_to msgsrej msgsdis msgsqur Mailer
=====================================================================
T 0 0K 0 0K 0 0 0
C 0 0 0

but I still can't find the answer. Could I just reinstall sendmail. will this hurt the system. What about the configuration. Is there anything that I should be looking for?

fmvillares

elastix does not use sendmail....this is not a forum to discuss email ...is an elastix forum...and elastix uses postfix...Moderators please...

kingjm

This is on an elastix server. I am not sure how sendmail was introduced. I will be getting rid of sendmail.

kingjm

As sendmail is needed for postfix config on elastix I now know that sendmail is a part of elastix. So I guess that I will not uninstall sendmail. I have now figured out what is starting sendmail. fail2ban calls sendmail to send emails to root when the server is restarted, an ip is banned, etc.

Can I change this to use postfix?

ie: sendmail-whois[name=SSH, dest=root, [email=sender=fail2ban@mail.com]sender=fail2ban@mail.com[/email]]
to postfix-whois[name=SSH, dest=root, [email=sender=fail2ban@mail.com]sender=fail2ban@mail.com[/email]]

dicko

That is a reference to

/etc/fail2ban/action.d/sendmail-whois.conf which calls sendmwail within itself.

but, some folks are missing the point here, sendmail is a standard in linux like systems to call your mta, in this case postfix, the next two lines demonstrate that they are the same thing.

[admin@box ~]# ls -l /usr/sbin/send*
192 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 190164 Aug 14 2008 /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Sep 8 2010 /usr/sbin/sendmail -> /etc/alternatives/mta

[admin@box ~]# ls -l /etc/alternatives/mta
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Sep 8 2010 /etc/alternatives/mta -> /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix

did you

man sendmail

and

less /var/log/maillog

yet ?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member