Sending Fax From Gmail

Discussion in 'General' started by kforkarim, Apr 6, 2009.

1. kforkarim

Hello all,
    I am using Elastix with default hylafax fax gateway.

I can receive the fax and it sends via postfix automatically to the email account via gmail smtp, however, I was wondering if there is a way if I can use the same gmail account to get the email attached as a .doc file or just type text in gmail message box and then send it to hylafax and then it faxes it over?

I have pop3 setup to receive fax from gmail account, if anyone can just guide me as of how to extract information from gmail email content and send over to hylafax gateway to send the fax routine as complete transaction I will really appreciate it.

Note: I am using fetchmail to receive mail from gmail pop3.

Thank you

Sincerely,
    kA

2. dicko

I'm afraid that is not how hylafax (or faxes ingeneral) works, you might want to invetigate avantfax for text to fax and rudimentary OCR function, either here on these fora or elseware. Faxes are in effect "pictures" not text, so can't be easily converted to document files

3. kforkarim

Do you think if I integrate avantfax, I will be able to use gmail account to send message and extract the information and send on relay on avantfax to send the faxes?
    If yes do you have some steps as of how to do so?
    Thanks

4. dicko

I can only say that faxes are intrinsically "visual" there is no textual context intrinsic in them.
    Without prejudice, and in answer to your question, I do not believe that you will be able to achieve you ambition without a lot more research. B) But please follow you're ambition, anything is possible!
    (perhaps you can investigate OCR, hylafax, "email to fax" and "fax to email" (google is your friend ) )

5. userfromca

Karim,

I read following in Linuxjournal online.
    This might help you to create a script. BTW Can you please elaborate, how you use fetchmail to read your e-mail in to elastix postfix mail?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

AEleen Frisch
    Monday, July 15th, 2002

Sending Faxes

Sending faxes is done with the sendfax utility. Figure One shows a sample invocation that uses many command-line options. The only required option is -d, which specifies the recipient

6. namm86

7. maumar

8. syedwasi

Hello,

Can anyone guide me how to setup email2fax client on hylafax server ...

step by step procedure.

regds
    wasi