send fax to cisco router

faraheneh

hi all,
I'm not sure the title suites my question or not, so sorry if it's not good ;)

we are testing an Elastix system in our office, and cause it's test my boss prefers not to spend much money on it :( ... I tried to use the hardwares we had so I came up with this solution:

I have installed elastix 2.0.0-36 on a virtual server. I have a cisco 3660 router with nm-2v module and a vic-2fxo card, I have connected the router to PSTN, and made a sip connection between elastix and router. whenever someone calls, router redirects the call to an extension on the elastix and the IVR is played. they all works smoothly.
(sorry if its too detailed I read Bob's thread and I wanted to act as a good newbie :))

well, my main question or problem is this: I have to run virtual fax for my boss (and we don't have a DAHDI channel) is there any way to tell the fax server, to send the fax through ethernet so it can reach the router and then be transmitted on the PSTN?

thanks for your help

fmvillares

what??? What fax server? hylafax? the iax modem app? winprint hyla in every pc..do you know something about t30 or t38? fax passthrouhg in the cisco router? etc etc

faraheneh

Dear fmvillares
I want to use hylafax, and my only reference to configure it is "elastix without tears". In that book we could configure the virtual fax, through creating a IAX extension...(I have test it before when I had one openvox fxo card)
unfortunately I don't know anything about t30 and t38....(but I searched about it and I'm reading some docs... still don't know anything about how to configure it in cisco though, so I'm going to work on it.)
sorry for my lack of knowledge :( and thank you for your guidance... :lol:

fmvillares

Re: Re:send fax to cisco router

well remember this....cisco routers dont get well with asterisk and faxing...if using iaxmodem and hylafax always use t38 passthrough with alaw or ulaw codec as asterisk used in elastix (1.6.x) dont work with complete t38 support and iaxmodem does t30 fax only....and of course faxes doesnt work at all in compresed lines

faraheneh

well, thanks for your help, I was forced to use a cisco router... I'd rather use a tenor or at least some PCI card but we moved to a virtual server and it doesn't support PCI cards and my boss won't pay for tenor or E1 cards so I have no other choice...

would you mind giving me some hint about docs or manuals in which I can learn more about these issues? I really appreciate your help.

fmvillares

asterisk the future of telephony...and voip-info.org web page...bibles!!!

faraheneh

thank you so much, I will check them...

fmvillares

then for sure you will love the docs!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member