securing the system?

Discussion in 'General' started by j99991, May 5, 2009.

1. j99991

hello

i would liek to ask what are the ways which could be used in order to secure the elastix system.

can you install antivirus and firewall on the machine in order to prevent hacks, attacks or other attempt?
    can you put the system behind a firewall? (not a system install one but an outsource firewall)?

are there any other ways to prevent or to avoid attacks?

thanks

2. jaschenck

Do you have access to something with a flyback transformer? they are in CRT type monitors and tube type TVs

Jim

3. j99991

sry for the question but what are flyback transformers?

4. Patrick_elx

You should read this forum folder, you will see the different security features that you need to implement (fail2ban, strong password, deny/permit ip for extension, etc...)

As a general rule, having a perimeter firewall that will only open the ports needed to your elastix server is a must in my book.

Also having your phone LAN separated from the working lan is important (VLAN, other eth on the router,etc...)

5. jaschenck

I was going to recommend that you remove the back from your monitor and locate the High voltage side of the flyback transformer, after doing so follow these steps
    1. Place your left hand on a good ground
    2. Place your right hand on the flyback output
    3. Walk into the light, on the other side all your questions will be answered

Jim

6. j99991

lol ok i get it now but i do not believe it could let me have more secured elastix system . but it sure could make my life much more easy.

patrick i do use a firewall and vpn will that be enough?

7. j99991

by the way where is the forum's folder i went to the forum and i didn't see any thing like that there

8. Lou1z

i use vpn's for remote extensions and the only open port to elastix is for sip which is limited to my voip providers eg gradwell
    fingers crossed that that's enough!!

9. j99991

how can you limite a certain port to a certain provider?

10. ramoncio

You can't. You can assign the sip port, but not the rtp port that carries the audio, and the main bandwidth.

11. j99991

ohh i understand. what is the process of assignment? do i need to provide my address to the provider which is then add's to his system?

12. Patrick_elx

Use your mouse to scroll to the top of this page.

In Blue there is written Elastix Forum >> Elastix >> Security

With the small arrow that moves with the movement of your hand on the mouse, please point to the word Security.

Then without moving the mouse, click the left button once.

It's not easy to keep a steady hand while clicking, but after some training you should be able to do it.

13. ramoncio

If you continue flooding the forum with dumb questions people will get fed up and stop answering you. I'm trying to be polite and I have a good patience, but someone else might not. First you must read and search google to get the most basic knowledge and then come back here next month and try to ask intelligent questions, showing you have done your homework. This is not a school and people can't loose its time to teach you the most basic concepts.

14. Lou1z

no, you are misunderstanding. my firewall will only allow gradwell ip's to access the elastix box on the lan so only sip and the rtp range can hit the elastix box from gradwell.
    outgoing is exactly the same with voip ports only allowed to connect to my voip providers.
    any mobile users use vpn.

15. jaschenck

j99991
    Where are you located? What country? I have been sort of wondering about that

Jim

16. j99991

ok i understand

by the way i didn't understand at first what you ment by folder i though this forum has a certain place like a link or page which has more link to site or reading materials so i tried to look for something like that.

i decided not to use a new pc yet but to download a vm install it see how it goes. then if i have more question i will come back here.

however my question about appliance or pc still apply and i look forward to receive more experiences and opinions such bob's, before i will buy 1.
    thanks

17. j99991

ohh i see so acctually when an packet will income the appliance will check if it's from the provider if it is it will allow it's access if not it will deny it. right?

same to the outgoing. outgoing packets from the sip and rtp port will be sent only to your provider

right?

18. j99991

and jim .. i will let you guess.. if you hit 3 countries and none are right i will ask you an elsatix question ok?

if you are right then.... i dunno .. i propbly can't offer isntalling you an elastix system since you already have 1 ..
    so.. i will try and think of something.

19. jaschenck

I was just sort of wondering what your native language is I am guessing that it's not English. Though you English is not bad.

Jim

20. jaschenck

As for you firewall questions, I tend to select providers that offer IAX2 that way you only have to open one port.
    Over the last 9 years and more installs than I can remember I have had 0 security issues.