Routing call from Zap trunk to SIP trunk

Discussion in 'General' started by vtofa, Jul 30, 2010.

1. vtofa

I have set up an internal office to office SIP trunk and have tested it with success. However, I need to route outside Zap/Dahdi calls over the internal SIP trunk but it fails. I suspect the the call is denied based on context but don't know where to take it from here.

Also, how do I add extensions to Elastix for phones that are on the other end of a SIP trunk? The incoming routing configuration requires an actual number from the drop down list. I got around this by creating a ring group, which allows free form phone numbers.

2. jgutierrez

Create a misc destination, and enter the desired number, then it will show up on inbound routes

3. dicko

I will add that you might not need to add the extensions of the other box , just route those extensions by "matching" them to an outbound route that uses the SIP trunk and further map the inbound route by callerID as jgutierrez suggested to the rerouted far end extensions.

For inbound calls from the far end, that "tie-line trunk" probably needs to be in the from-internal context (on both ends) if you want to do extension to extension calling, access to far end voice mail, conferences et al. and similarly do an outbound pattern match on the far end.

There is a good description in the blogs as to how to that with iax2 trunking (which is probably more efficient bandwidth wise) but the same concepts pertain.

If the above doesn't apply to your needs you can make custom-extension 's that "dial"

SIP/<intertrunkname>/<extensionattheotherend>

regards

dicko

4. vtofa

I have added the number to Misc Destination but it did not appear in the extensions list dropdown in the inbound routes configuration.

5. dicko

It wouldn't be there in extensions because it isn't an extension but a "Misc Destination", so was it in the "Misc Destination" drop down menu?

6. vtofa

Sorry, my bad. Yes, and I selected the Misc Destination in the inbound route configuration but when I try to call from the outide (Zap) I get the Asterisk error: "I am sorry, that is not a valid extension. Please try again." This works from the inside but I am not on site to see if there is some other problem. BTW, the SIP trunk goes to an AastraLink Pro 160 so AIX is not an option and configuring asterisk on that end is of course not an option either.

7. dicko

So what was exactly was your misc destination dial command, it would be pertinent information. As would the context of the SIP trunk you constructed, further did that message come from the local box or the far end box? (use the asterisk CLI).

I am personally not familiar with the AastraLink Pro 160 , so to you it might be an "of course" but I gotta tell you that even asterisk don't talk AIX too good :) .

[edit]

After a quick google, Aastralinks do however seem to prefer "IAX trunking" when communicating with their brothers, so are you sure about that "of course" thingy, maybe you can persuade it to think of your box as a step-brother?

dicko

p.s. and just to be pedantic, as a protocol IAX is NOT the same as IAX2, it uses a different port and is only a very limited subset of IAX2, IAX went the way of the dinosaurs "a long time ago". (Asterisk does still speak it though). Do you guys all actually mean IAX2?.

8. vtofa

Your reference to context hit me. I changed the context of the SIP trunk to from-internal and that solved my problem! Thanks!

By the way, the message was clearly the local box with the familiar Asterisk lady. The Aastralink Pro 160 has a different sounding voice.

Aastralink Pro 160, although based on Asterisk as far as I know, has its own management interface and I don't see any way of getting around it. I spoke with their tech support and they said that trunks to Asterisk require SIP and IAX is for trunks to other Aastralink Pro 160 units. (Ok, IAX2 i presume.)

9. vtofa

One more thing: The ring group on the Aastralink Pro 160 doesn't seem to work for calls coming over the SIP trunk. So I created a ring group in Asterisk with all the numbers in the Aastralink Pro 160 system but it fails. Ring groups using Miscellaneous Destination numbers doesn't seem to work.

10. dicko

I commiserate, but surely these problems are better handles by Aastra. Perhaps you should repost in the aastra forum, I guess your box counts as an "endpoint", and our aastra insider aastra1 occasionally visits there.

dicko