ROUTING 2 TRAFFIC THROUGH 2 DIFFERENT IPS

Discussion in 'General' started by striderec, Feb 2, 2010.

1. striderec

Hi,

Question is simple. A good voice provider offers me good value and premium routes to use their services but their authorization is IP-based instead of user + password authorization.

Following their advice I have 2 public IP addresses running over my elastix box, one of them to go through the premium route and the other one for the value route. To create 2 separate trunks for value and premium routes is not enough so I wonder how I can ask Asterisk to route the calls through the desired IP and send the calls to the appropriate route on my Voice Service Provider's side.

Thank you in advance,

Paul

2. dicko

Just create two trunks, add the host=<ip address> in the outbound settings and anything else like codecs or whatever you care for, you probably won't need the username and secret stuff, and route the calls through the appropriate trunk to suit,

3. striderec

Hello Dicko,

Thanks for your reply. Well, the thing is that the Voice Provider has only one IP that is "listening" to the traffic i send them through my two IP addresses: 74.XXX.XXX.X9 and 74.XXX.XXX.X0

74.XXX.XXX.X9 is set on their system to route my calls to their VALUE rates
    74.XXX.XXX.X0 is set on their system to route my calls to their PREMIUM rates

Both IPs are set on the same Elastix Server so what do you really mean with your explanation? The host= xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx parameter in the trunk config is to connect to your voice provicer's IP and in this case, it is the same one listening to all traffic as I said above.

So what should I do?

Thank you,

Paul

4. dicko

Then I personally would use a sip proxy as an intermediary device Asterisk is a Back2Back User Agent, and as far as I know is not designed or easily persuaded to be multi-homed, I guess you could rewrite the SIP headers in the outbound trunk contexts, but that, as they say, is "non-trivial"

Sorry I couldn't give you an easier answer.

5. striderec

Hi Dicko,

Thank you very much. That is pretty much what I thought but these guys at the tech support insist "there is something you can do with asterisk to achieve that" Guess I'll have to stick with the value route till I (or they) find a way to send the traffic to the desired route easily.

- Paul