Routers and QOS

Discussion in 'General' started by jaschenck, May 7, 2009.

1. jaschenck

If this is the the correct place for this feel free to move to another location

I find myself with some extra time on my hands quite often more so since I gave up drinking :)
    anyway I would like to contribute so documentation in PDF format. The topic I would like to cover is Routers and QOS since to me that is the key to making quality IP calls.
    What I have in mind is gathering information from the people here who have functioning QOS for both SIP and IAX2 for the following.

M0n0wall
    PfSense

I have used both in the past but have never had total success with the QOS. While trying to get both to work I looked, searched and read and never found simple instructions that worked. So my plan is to do the following.

Gather the information here
    install and test with the provided information
    create a simple easy to read manual on how to configure the above for functioning QOS with screen shots simply showing how to get up and running quickly.

At the current time I use a Dlink DIR-628 and it was very simple to configure and it just plain works, I can have multiple FTP or torrent sessions going and still send Faxes over SIP or IAX or make high quality phone calls. I never got to that point with either M0n0wal or PfSense.

I also have some rather hi end translation software and I will translate to Spanish and French if someone will proof read the completed work.

Anyway that's my idea I would like to hear what you think.

Jim

2. Patrick_elx

I can proof read it for French if you want

3. jaschenck

Thanks Patrick

4. telecomtechnician

Translate to spanish

Hi there

I can help with the english to spanish translation

Waiting for your comments

David Medina

5. jaschenck

Re:Translate to spanish

Thanks David
    that takes care of the translation part now I just need data to document

Jim

6. Kalama Sutra

Hello JIm,

I'm not so sure if this is the correct item to assist ... Just some thoughts though.

A while back I was given an "old" Compaq / Deskpro EN" with Win SE loaded. An Item I really didn't need; it sat in storage, soon to be recycled.

But your router / gateway discussion brings me to a point. I have a main commercial office with 4 satellite locations. My Linksys VPN routers were not keeping real stable connections for VPN to the main location. ( These satellite locations have minimal traffic between them; 2 home locations & 2 off site / part time offices ) The point I'm getting to is that I took that Deskpro, added 3 Nic cards at $15 US each, maxed out the RAM ( 512 K ) and loaded the open source IPCop v.1.4.21. It has been stable ever since for VPN purposes. << the 3 added Nics and the internal Nic gave me a WAN / LAN / extra LAN for WiFi / Hard Point DMZ >>

Now, we've added Elastix / VoIP to our internal network ... moving to external real soon ... and dumped our 10+ year old Toshiba phone system. All of our extensions, main office & 4 satellite locations {which we could then add to the system} have been extremely stable since.

Just wondering if you've looked at this resource ?

Good luck,

Jim :side:

7. jaschenck

Kalama Sutra

Thanks for your reply. I have used IPcop in the past so yes I am familiar with it, but I have never used it for QOS. If you are saying that it works well for QOS I would be more then happy to document that also if you can provide me with the settings you use and any addons you have in place.

Thanks
    Jim

8. jordanlcn

Another firewall to consider is Untangle. They have Qos and Voip integrated to thier system.

www.untangle.com

9. ramoncio

Yes, but untangle has a free version with a lot less features than the commercial version.
    If you really want something really great have a look here:

http://www.vyatta.com/

Ipcop is very nice too!

10. jaschenck

I will have a look at both untangle and vyatta to see how well the QOS works

thanks

Jim

11. mattrh

just a quick note do not use sonicwalls. i have a tz190 and it does not support QoS. only the NSA2400 + do..... i lot of money for nothing. thats just my 2 cents haha

12. ElasMex

Hello jaschenck

Question

If I work well with Vyatta and Untangle QoS?

Greetings

13. Chilling_Silence

I thought I'd chuck in my 2c worth ...

I spent HOURS messing with the different m0n0wall / pfSense on an Alix Board with little luck.
    Long story short, I installed Tomato on an Asus WL-520GU and stuck an AM300 in Halfbridge mode, works brilliantly! :)
    Have multiple calls running while hosting games, downloading with Usenet & Bittorrent, uploading via FTP, all on a 5000kbps / 900kbps connection!

I'd love to read any documentation that makes QoS with pfSense / m0n0wall easy though :)

14. sasben2

smoothwall?

15. johnme

Hi

I'm using endian firewall.

It is based on ipcop but it is easier to use it.

I don't have lot of trafic, and i live in a country that don't like voip communications. What to setup if the whole system is broken...

So someone else should see if endian firewall is the best solution for Qos.

On the other hand it works fine for viruses, spam, and proxying.

Bye
    John

16. jammerz

Ramoncio,

I liked what I saw as well, feature wise, performance wise, price wise as they tought something like 25 to 33 percent of a comparable cisco router with equal if not better performance, though I never tested.

In your opinion, how is ease of use...I know you can command line most everything, though can you GUI drive almost the same things easily?

jf