Router Recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by cowboy47, Jul 4, 2008.

1. cowboy47

I would like some input from others. We have been using a Netgear FVS338 router for about 8 months but we have been having a lot of problems with it. I opened a support ticket and it turns out that Netgear has a problem with SIP. It does not matter whether you are using port forwarding, port prioritization or if the router is just doing conventional routing, if you run sip on the network, it ends up locking up the router and you have to reboot it. I have to reboot our router now about 2 times a week.

I am looking for recommendations from others. Items that I am looking for, other than SIP are:

DHCP
    Conventional routing
    Prioritization of ports

Nothing particularly fancy but suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

2. cowboy47

bump. What are others using?

3. Bob

Bob

Cowboy,

Just so you get at least one response....

I use on close to 80 sites, the Draytek series of routers/firewall....

The main models I use are the 2800G (built in ADSL) and the 2910G (Router only).

They include IPSEC/PPTP Endpoints, port fowarding, DMZ, QOS, Basic DOS prevention, handle External IP subnets, and many other features.

Running SIP/RTP through them without issue, via VPN or port forwarding....

A little bit more expensive than your general router/firewall, but extremely reliable, and very good support in terms of firmware, step by step guides etc..

Regards

Bob

4. Reaper

I am using pfsense,(traffic shafting qos failover....) with miniitx mobo and flash card, also Zeroshell looks nice

5. Telco

For all of my small systems and home systems I have been using the Linksys 54g. It has all the QOS that you need.

6. MageMinds

I'm too using pfSense on an old PIII 700 MHz running QoS, Static Port NATting, I can receive inbound anonymous SIP calls without having to use a SIP Proxy.

You have to setup the Static Port for the IP address of your Asterisk in the NAT -> Outbound -> Manual.

MageMinds<br><br>Post edited by: MageMinds, at: 2008/07/15 06:06