Reset Voice Mailbox

trymes

OK, so this is super basic, but they way I used to do it seems to not work on the more recent version of Asterisk we are running, and nothing obvious popped up on Google.

Anyhow, I need to reset a voice mailbox for a new user. Basically, I would like for them to start with a blank slate. I used to do this on our old Asterisk 1.2 box:

1.) Log in to VM for that extension.
2.) Check to see if there are any old messages that should be dealt with.
3.) Reset the VM password to be the same as the extension.
4.) Remove the /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/XXX directory (where XXX is the extension)

This used to prompt the user to change their password, and to record their name and both greetings. However, this no longer happens.

Ideas?

Tom

PS: An easier method would be appreciated, too!

trymes

Some more Google spelunking unearthed this:

Help New Users Set Up Their Mailbox
When creating new mailboxes for users, set their password the same as their extension. e.g.,
[default]
4993 => 4993,Joe User
3344 => 3344,Sally User

When they log into their voicemail the first time, the matching extension and password will tip off Asterisk that they are unconfigured. You also need to set forcename=yes and/or forcegreeting=yes, either for the individual or (this is certainly easier) in the [general] config, like so:
[general]
;...other stuff...
forcename=yes
forcegreeting=yes

If you set either forcename or forcegreeting (or both), the setup menu will _also_ encourage the user to change their password, but if you _don't_ set forcename or forcegreeting, new users won't get any setup message, even about the password.

You should also educate your users that not only is keeping your password the same as your extension weak security, it will also cause that user to get the setup message every time they log in.

trymes

OK, so I have answered my own question and I'm posting the results here for anyone else looking.

Add the forcename=yes and forcegreetings=yes to your /etc/asterisk/vm_general.inc file and Asterisk will prompt the user to change their password and record their name and greetings whenever their password is set to the same as their extension.

Any idea why this:
1.) Isn't set to be this way by default?
2.) Isn't configurable in the GUI?

Also, I wonder if it's likely to be overwritten at some point by FreePBX?

Tom

dicko

answers to all three questions are "no", as to why, the first two,well they have always been like that, the third is that FreePBX don't want to p.off their users. :)

trymes

dicko said:
answers to all three questions are "no", as to why, the first two,well they have always been like that, the third is that FreePBX don't want to p.off their users. :)
OK, I can understand that some users don't want to have the functionality provided by the forcegreetings and forcename options. I can even understand that it may be a large enough proportion of people that it should be off by default. However, I can't imagine why FreePBX offering the ability to enable that functionality would p.off their users.

Tom

PS: I opened a feature request ticket with FreePBX. http://www.freepbx.org/trac/ticket/4641

dicko

The voicemail system is a legacy software from before Asterisk was a twinkle in Mark's eye (That's why it says "Comedian Mail", ) It stores it's data in flat files that start with v in /etc/asterisk/ . All the other conf files in the early days of Asterisk were moved to the Berkely Datbase system, and are more compliant to extracting and storing/restoring in mysql databases, the VM system has many many other adhoc options to allow you to call other programs to turn PBX light on and off, etc. etc. so in general the Voicemail system is just left alone apart from the realtively easy voicemail.conf as there is really no possible abstraction of all it's options reasonably.

JM2CWAE

dicko

trymes

Hmmm... I figured that, if the existing VM options in the "General Settings" worked, that those would work, too, but I guess they really control the dialplan more than the VM conf files.

Thanks for the info. We'll see what becomes of it.

Tom

trymes

Thanks for the info, we'll see where it goes.

Tom

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mehdii_igi