Requirments for Elastix in Local Enviroment?

Discussion in 'General' started by scott, Jan 15, 2010.

1. scott

Hi All!

Finally, I've been able to install and configure Elastix to my liking! YAY! Now I have to deploy it to the company who needs it. What should I be looking for? I know that since I'll be using the IP of the office for the PBX, but how do I make it static? I know I have to do something with externip and something about refreshing it in the sip_nat.conf file, but, I'm not sure exactly what to do? Apart from that, what else do I have to make sure that the PBX can work in a local environment?

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!

2. dicko

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "make it static", "Elastix Without Tears" in the download section is quite explicit as to how to set up various network scenaria, if you have a static IP you don't need to do any of that externip/externhost, localnet stuff.

Come to think of it I don't know what you mean by a "local environment" either :)

Perhaps you can be more explicit?

3. scott

Thanks for the response! Really appreciated! What I mean is that the IP of the office we're installing at is most likely going to be dynamic. Should the IP address change, the PBX would seize to work, unless I go in and manually change the IP address. How would I go about this situation is what I am asking? Thanks once again for your response! Plus, you are quite right about the static IP address, IF the IP of the office was static, I would need to do this configuration. I hope this helps!

4. dicko

Then I suggest,just as the book says, the best way is to set up the box as a dynamic host with the company's current DNS service, or register with a dynamic DNS service, e.g. dyndns.com, and set up the "dynamic dns client" of choice as appropriate on your router or Elastix box, you will then have a name that can always be resolved, so in sip_nat.conf:

nat=yes
    externhost=your.dynamic.dns.domain
    localnet=192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
    externrefresh=120

where externrefresh is in seconds and reflects how stable your dynamic ip address is.