Require a different outbound caller id display

Discussion in 'General' started by sskiba, Sep 19, 2008.

1. sskiba

Hi,

I'm trying to get an outbound ID to show up to our customers as an 866 number. Our provider says we have to do it through a Diversion Header. I don't know what to do. We have a real number through our host that corresponds to that 866 number. When our host tried setting the outbound ID to the 866 number we can no longer call out on that line. We have a trunk set up using 719314xxxx that is set up to an outbound route. That outbound route is set so that we dial 7 and then an outbound number. We want the customer to see our 866 toll free number. Is that possible & how do I do it? Anybody have any ideas? :(

Thanks, Steve

2. farhansabir

It is a pretty common feature heavily in use everywhere. Elastix/Asterisk has the ability to do that. You need to do this under PBX->Trunks edit the Trunk and put your 10 digit caller ID in Outbound Caller ID. Mouse over will also tell you the same

"Caller ID for calls placed out on this trunk. Format: "caller name" <#######>. You can also use the magic string 'hidden' to hide the CallerID sent out over Digital lines ONLY (E1/T1/J1/BRI/SIP/IAX)"

However, if your ITSP allow you to change the Caller ID, only then you can do it. Or you need to change the service provider. Some service providers will block your dialing if the caller id is different from your assigned phone number on the specific SIP/IAX2 trunk.

Hope it helps.

3. sskiba

Hi Farhan,

Yes, we have tried all that you suggested and none of it works. The only way I've been able to make the phone line work at all is if I use one of our assigned numbers in the Outbound ID field in the Trunk. I'm afraid it's looking like our service provider is one of the companies that blocks the call if the outbound id is different than the assigned phone number. :angry:

The provider has told me that I need to go in and make the changes happen through a Diversion Header. Unfortunately no one seems to know what that code needs to be. The provider(cbeyond) says it's beyond their scope of service. I've had a couple of elastix guru's try & help but to no avail.:dry:

If anyone has experience with Diversion Headers here's the code that the elastix guru was trying to implement. If anyone has an idea on what may be needed beyond this I would appreciate any help you can offer. We've been working on this issue for over a month. It seems like such a simple request but unsolvable so far. :(

Thanks, Steve

[test-header]
    exten => _7.,1,SIPAddHeader(Diversion: <tel:866940xxxx>\;reason=user=busy\;screen=no\;privacy=off)
    exten => _7.,2,Macro(user-callerid,SKIPTTL,)
    exten => _7.,n,Set(_NODEST=)
    exten => _7.,n,Macro(record-enable,${AMPUSER},OUT,)
    exten => _7.,n,Macro(dialout-trunk,4,${EXTEN:1},,)
    exten => _7.,n,Macro(outisbusy,)
    exten => _7NXXNXXXXXX,1,SIPAddHeader(Diversion: <tel:866940xxxx>\;reason=user=busy\;screen=no\;privacy=off)
    exten => _7NXXNXXXXXX,2,Macro(user-callerid,SKIPTTL,)
    exten => _7NXXNXXXXXX,n,Set(_NODEST=)
    exten => _7NXXNXXXXXX,n,Macro(record-enable,${AMPUSER},OUT,)
    exten => _7NXXNXXXXXX,n,Macro(dialout-trunk,4,${EXTEN:1},,)
    exten => _7NXXNXXXXXX,n,Macro(outisbusy,)
    exten => _7NXXXXXX,1,SIPAddHeader(Diversion: <tel:866940xxxx>\;reason=user=busy\;screen=no\;privacy=off)
    exten => _7NXXXXXX,2,Macro(user-callerid,SKIPTTL,)
    exten => _7NXXXXXX,n,Set(_NODEST=)
    exten => _7NXXXXXX,n,Macro(record-enable,${AMPUSER},OUT,)
    exten => _7NXXXXXX,n,Macro(dialout-trunk,4,${EXTEN:1},,)
    exten => _7NXXXXXX,n,Macro(outisbusy,)
    exten => _7NXXXXXXXXX,1,SIPAddHeader(Diversion: <tel:866940xxxx>\;reason=user=busy\;screen=no\;privacy=off)
    exten => _7NXXXXXXXXX,2,Macro(user-callerid,SKIPTTL,)
    exten => _7NXXXXXXXXX,n,Set(_NODEST=)
    exten => _7NXXXXXXXXX,n,Macro(record-enable,${AMPUSER},OUT,)
    exten => _7NXXXXXXXXX,n,Macro(dialout-trunk,4,${EXTEN:1},,)
    exten => _7NXXXXXXXXX,n,Macro(outisbusy,)

4. farhansabir

I am not an expert of Asterisk programming/scripting. My point once again is your outbound calls stop working if change the Caller ID. It only works if you use one of their assigned DIDs. What I can gather is that the problem is with the provider. It will not let you use a caller id other than the numbers assigned. In their online account setup there is expected to be a setting for outbound caller ID. If you can check that setting, it might be helpful. I am using about 4 different providers and I did not have to change anything special in Elastix/Asterisk other than what i posted earlier. If I were you, I will call CBeyond (again) and ask them to change my caller id permanently to 866-940-xxxx. They are the service providers and can do it from their end easily.

I hope you do not mind me getting back to the same point, but that