Remote extention on Polycome 501 and load image

Discussion in 'IP Phones' started by vijayayar, Jun 14, 2010.

1. vijayayar

I need to setup remote extention on polycom 501.
    My server place at Head office and my polycom 501 at other office
    now i wan to load configure remote exention without vpn ??
    is this possible?????????????????Please help me if any body this.

Also i want to confiugre image on display in Polycom 501.?????

2. Megabyte

Of course is possible, but you will need to publish your pbx, if you have a public ip address thats not a problem.

If you have a no fixed public ip address you will need to foward some ports to get the polycom works.

Go and find info about nat and sip protocol.

3. vijayayar

I have already publise elastik. My public is on my router i forward port from the router to our elatix.box, also i add my public ip on sip_nat.conf file.But stil i am not able to load boot file on my polycom 501 phone. i set my public ip on polycom 501 as a tftp.
    But can you guide me more detail for that.
    Once i load config file from the elastix, i will manage everything .
    But problem is i am not able to load configu file from the elastix
    is ther any solution ???
    i need help.

MY phone is other office and its not on vpn.

Thanks For reply

4. vijayayar

NObody replying of this thread????????????????????????

5. dicko

tftpd runs on port 69/udp have you so allowed those connections on both routers, is the tftpd server running?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

tftp is a security risk, investigating using the other Polycom supported provisioning protocols , http, https, ftp for your external devices !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please don't whine and shout here, it won't help your case ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. vijayayar

Dicko, Thanks for reply of this thread.
    Is there anywasy to download config file in polycom from remote location without VPN?
    I want to just download config file in my polycom 501.
    I have opened all port with both router. But still i am not getting elastix server's extention
    could you help me for that??
    Thanks..............

7. dicko

As I said already

tftpd runs on port 69/udp

you have to allow those connections on both routers and port forward it to the tftp server

it's just that simple.

8. vijayayar

I got messege from elastix person He told me that it will not possible
    i am attaching his mail here....................
    We have confirmed that the endpoint configuration needs the ipphone be on the same internal network where the elastix server is located, because it needs to know the IPPHONE's MAC Address to create the config file.
    The endpoint configuration utility doesn't use the UDP/69 port, it is a broadcast communication using ARP protocol and this protocol is not routed to internet.

9. dicko

I'll have to tell all mine to stop working then,

Don't confuse the detection process (nmap, which won't work through a NAT box/router) with the provisioning process(tftp, that does). You will have to make the <mac> config file by hand though, either copy rename and edit another one, or take the machine behind the firewall briefly.

10. vijayayar

i dont mean that stop use this.
    I mean that if endpoint manager can work behind firewall as like other pbx. so its very easy to use for all of us.
    or any easy way to do that.EVeni create tftp sever on my windows compuer and i past mac.cfg
    file sip, server file but still not downlaod in polycom.
    Even i am trying use this elastix in all usa. so if i get resolve this problem i can upload elastix everywere......

11. dicko

You would need all the Poltcom files on the local server also, but if the file is there and the comnnection can be made between the phone and the Elastix box it WILL work, as I said before you can also use http, https or ftp to do the provisioning also, but the phone will remember it's state over a reboot, so it shouild only need doing once., I suggest you need to read a little more.