Remote Extensions Protocol Question

Discussion in 'General' started by Mirko87, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Mirko87

Hi guys,
    this is my situation, I've got an Elastix PBX in an Office, and I need to create 2 more extensions in another office, this second office is in the near town...
    So that, I need to create 2 remote extensions, the new office's router will have dynamic IP, but it isn't a prblem, I'll use DynDNS..

My question is: Can I use SIP protocol or I must use IAX2?

In some experiments IAX2 looks more powerful than SIP, but it's hardest to find cordless IAX phone... And my doubt is: If I use SIP Protocol, and I forward all the SIP's port to one of the 2 new office's phone, the other phone will have some audio problems... It's right?

Best Regards,
    Mirko

2. ramoncio

Hi Mirko,
    Remember the audio is not SIP, but RTP. You also should redirect the RTP ports to the phones.
    The best way to do this is to establish a vpn between the two offices. Now you can get cheap VPN enabled routers, and even some Snom phones have a OpenVPN client included.

3. Mirko87

Hi Ramoncio... Thank You for the reply...
    Yeah, I forget the RTP Ports... :)... But is it possible to redirect all these ports in direction of 2 phones or it is only possible to redirect the ports on an unique IP address (one phone)?

In the late afternoon I'll think about the VPN...

Best regards,
    Mirko