Registration causes immediate reboot

Discussion in 'IP Phones' started by mastermindpro, Apr 4, 2010.

1. mastermindpro

I've got a weird issue with the latest stable elastix and 5 Polycom 650 phones. 3 of the 5 phones are provisioned and function correctly. The remaining two install code and configs normally without complaining, but when they register with Elastix, they are immediately rebooted. If I disable the SIP proxy on the LAN or change the secret on the account to prevent registration, the phones will be as fully functional as they can be without being able to register. The instant they can register, though, they reboot.

I've tried wiping out the config and settings every which way. I set the auto reboot option in sip.cfg to 0. I tried power-cycling, alternate network cables and switch ports, and more. You name it, it didn't fix the problem. The only thing I did NOT try was downgrading the firmware.

Has anyone seen this sort of thing before? If so, what did you do to fix it? RMA? :^)

2. fmvillares

did you have installed in all polycoms the latest firmware and bootrom from the repositories...?
    polycoms are the best phones available but they have lots of rare an uncommon firmwares issues...and you have to know perfectly what you are doing to configure them correctly

3. mastermindpro

Yes, the latest publicly-downloadable firmware and bootrom were installed on all 5 phones. I believe the two that are failing either haven't really completed the update successfully or are reporting an incorrect version to Elastix. Elastix, in turn, tells the phones to reboot to install the latest version...which they supposedly already have.

I did nothing different with the two non-functional phones than what I did with the three remaining that function flawlessly.

4. fmvillares

well then format all settings in polycoms an restart the auto bootrom and firmwares download from tftp...

5. mastermindpro

As I already stated in the original post, I have done this several times and several ways to both phones.

6. fmvillares

try downgrading the firmware if the issue repeats..rma for them

7. fmvillares

do you have 3.2.3 sip firmware and 4.2.2 boot rom in the phones?

8. mastermindpro

Correct on both counts. I'll try downgrading the firmware when I have the opportunity.