Recompile for IMAP VM storage??

Discussion in 'General' started by dkmortensen, Mar 18, 2011.

1. dkmortensen

I would really love to be able to implement IMAP VM storage as shown in:

http://ofps.oreilly.com/titles/97805965 ... ntegration
    http://www.freepbx.org/v2/ticket/1957 (and implemented at: http://www.freepbx.org/v2/changeset/7723)

However, doing so requires recompiling asterisk.

My primary question is: Will recompiling Asterisk hurt anything? Does Elastix use pure vanilla asterisk, or does the Elastix project modify Digium's asterisk source prior to compiling?

I am running:
    elastix-1.6.2-27
    asterisk-1.4.36-0
    FreePBX Core 2.5.2.7

I notice that the current version of asterisk 1.4 from Digium is 1.4.40, which only puts Elastix behind by 3 maintenance releases. If I recompile, I expect that I would probably just keep with 1.4.36 so as to stay with the version Elastix is using.

I expect that if I recompile, then install my compiled binary, I should first uninstall the asterisk put in place by the Elastix repos. I can see this breaking the Elastix update process. Obviously, that is something that should generally be avoided.

It appears that I could download the Elastix asterisk 1.4.36-0 SRPM from:
    http://repo.elastix.org/elastix/1.6/upd ... -0.src.rpm

Perhaps this way, I could rebuild the RPM, compiling asterisk with the IMAP VM storage support I am seeking, and then install my rebuilt RPM, and the system would never know. Maybe it wouldn't break the yum update system w/ the Elastix repos at all??

Thoughts? Help?

I really appreciate some feedback.

-
    Doug

2. dkmortensen

To answer one of my own questions, no. Elastix does not use vanilla ("stock") Digium asterisk. I'm guessing it is probably very close, but the below lines from /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/asterisk.spec (which was derived by rpm -i asterisk-1.4.36-0.src.rpm) clearly document at least some minor adjustments that Elastix has made. Still I suspect that as long as I stick with these Elastix SRPM for asterisk, then recompiling the RPM with imap vm storage support would probably work....?

Most recent changelog lines from /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/asterisk.spec:

%changelog
    * Wed Oct 06 2010 Alex Villacis Lasso <a_villacis@palosanto.com> 1.4.36-0
    - Update to 1.4.36
    - Update sound files to core 1.4.19
    - Rename moh to mohmp3 to ensure compatibility with Elastix tools (Elastix bug #355).
    - Raise maximum version of H.323 library, since linking against H323Plus, not opal.

* Tue Jun 29 2010 Alex Villacis Lasso <a_villacis@palosanto.com> 1.4.33.1-1
    - Requires: dahdi >= 2.3.0.1

* Wed Jun 23 2010 Alex Villacis Lasso <a_villacis@palosanto.com> 1.4.33.1-0
    - Update to 1.4.33.1
    - Update sound files to core 1.4.19, MOH to 2.03

* Mon Jun 21 2010 Alex Villacis Lasso <a_villacis@palosanto.com> 1.4.33-0
    - Update to 1.4.33

* Tue Jun 01 2010 Alex Villacis Lasso <a_villacis@palosanto.com> 1.4.32-0
    - Update to 1.4.32
    - Update sound files to core 1.4.18, extra 1.4.11

So I am still seeking further guidance/suggestions on this.

-
    Doug

3. fmvillares

Re: Re:Recompile for IMAP VM storage??

read my post in s i n o l o g i c deselastixando elastix and pass it trough google translate..there i have explained how to deelastixe elastix compilng all by hand to upgrade and tuneup....
    rpms are not usefull in this case as u need to recompile it withother functions...as IMAP storage...and u need to change make menuselect opcion prior to recompile to do so...if you want to tune up many stuff elastix is not the best solutions as maybe a more robust and limietd distro like asterisk now will do the work best to play with