Reboot Elastix nightly

JohnyBeGood

Hi,

When server's up for couple of days I start getting small mutes while talking, after reboot everything's ok.
So I need to schedule nightly reboot ie. 4am
I tried to schedule using webmin but it won't execute.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

zeus

zeus

JohnyBeGood

Thanks for taking time to reply!

This is what I have in /var/spool/cron/root

Code:
30 14 * * * /etc/webmin/cron/tempdelete.pl
@daily /etc/webmin/time/sync.pl
Do I add bellow lines to the above file?
Code:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
@weekly echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches #memory clean pagecache
@weekly echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches #memory clean dentries and inodes
@weekly echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches #memory clean pagecache, dentries and inodes
I also use webmin, would I create new cron job with the above commands?

Thanks!

zeus

Yes you can use webmin to run the command.

I use only echo 3 as below:

Code:
4 21 * * * /etc/webmin/cron/tempdelete.pl
37 * * * * /var/lib/asterisk/bin/freepbx-cron-scheduler.php
@weekly echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches #memory clean
Regards

Zeus

zeus

Yes you can use webmin to run the command.

I use only echo 3 as below:

Code:
4 21 * * * /etc/webmin/cron/tempdelete.pl
37 * * * * /var/lib/asterisk/bin/freepbx-cron-scheduler.php
@weekly echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches #memory clean
Regards

Zeus

JohnyBeGood

Thanks!

I've modifed it so that it runs every night at 12:05am
/var/spool/cron/root
Code:
5 0 * * * echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches  #memory clean pagecache, dentries and inodes
Also, I've set cron job to reboot every Friday at 5am.
/etc/crontab
Code:
0 5 * * 5 root /sbin/reboot > /dev/null
I'm hoping it'll help :(

Ichorcom007

You should never have to reboot the server. I have had elastix servers running over 230 days in some cases. There is somthing wrong with your install

JohnyBeGood

I really couldn't get to the bottom of it, why my calls are being cut out.

I'm having same problems as this thread poster

elastixguy

I don't see the point of leaving the server on 24x7x365.

Company is closed? So is the pbx, simply turn it off and go home.

At least that how we do it and we have 2 good reasons to:

1) Stupid hackers keep trying to ssh into our Elastix via brute-force attacks. Less time on is lesser chance of success for these bastards

2) We save energy money or as they say today we help save the planet :side:

Of course there are exception that need to keep the server on all the time, but is it really your case?

JohnyBeGood

elastixguy said:
I don't see the point of leaving the server on 24x7x365.

Company is closed? So is the pbx, simply turn it off and go home.

At least that how we do it and we have 2 good reasons to:

1) Stupid hackers keep trying to ssh into our Elastix via brute-force attacks. Less time on is lesser chance of success for these bastards

2) We save energy money or as they say today we help save the planet :side:

Of course there are exception that need to keep the server on all the time, but is it really your case?
I don't own a company, in my case its plain home phone service.

Ichorcom007

Elastixguy ,

Here are some reason never to shutdown elastix.

Like for instance if you have employees using email,vtiger,disa,callback. People calling after hours and leaving voicemails.

Besides servers are not made to be shut down every night.

If your worried about hackers doing brute force ssh hack attempts than change the ssh prot to something weird like 30022 and use a hard password. Something that is not in the dictionary and has numbers and special char.

JohnyBeGood
For the guy with the drop calls, it is either a hardware issue or somthing did not install correctly.

I have over 50 customers using elastix and non of them experience dropped calls. EVER!

Please post your hardware, install image, and also a more detailed description of the problem. Like how many secounds in to the call is the call being droped and also have you tried another carrier?

I am a bit hard about this cause of all the industrial espionage going on lately. Elastix does not drop calls. Please be more specific with your issue please. I do offer free tech support on skype if I find it to be a valid issue.

JohnyBeGood

Ichorcom007 said:
JohnyBeGood
For the guy with the drop calls, it is either a hardware issue or somthing did not install correctly.

I have over 50 customers using elastix and non of them experience dropped calls. EVER!

Please post your hardware, install image, and also a more detailed description of the problem. Like how many secounds in to the call is the call being droped and also have you tried another carrier?

I am a bit hard about this cause of all the industrial espionage going on lately. Elastix does not drop calls. Please be more specific with your issue please. I do offer free tech support on skype if I find it to be a valid issue.
Thanks for taking time to help!

Fist I had v1.0-17 then I installed v1.1 (stable)
that is running on Dell OptiPlex GX270 Desktop w/ 1GB RAM 2.4GHz P4 detailed specs can be found are here

Yes, I have tried different carrier same problem,
when it happens its anywhere from 1-2 seconds.
The way I figured out was by connecting phone to Linksys SPA-3102 and setting up account under SIP that way I didn't have any cut outs.

I don't know what else to add, please ask and I'll me more then happy to post back. I'm not trying to bash Elastix by any mean, from all of the other ones I've tried I finally settled for it.<br><br>Post edited by: JohnyBeGood, at: 2008/06/29 09:05

Ichorcom007

Ok Thanks for the info. Since you have this same issue in two different versions of elastix that probably means something is not hooked up right with either your ata, your internet connection, or your sip/IAX trunk. so here are something to try to narrow down your issue.

Firstly , Try hooking up x-lite from www.counterpath.com and try to re-generate dropped calls using the soft-phone. I think this may sove your problem fastest. if this works than you know it is the way your configuring ata.

Secondly, Please make sure all your codecs are set properly. X-lite will not let you use G729, so make sure that your provider is providing you with Ulaw,G729 or GSM. And try those differnent codecs and see if there is difference in drooped calls. The goal here is not to have any transcodeing on your server test this if the first instruction does not solve your problem. Also list the carriers you use please.

Thirdly go to this website and do the online demo. www.myvoipspeed.com if your jitter is too HIGH , you WILL drop calls. also ping your VOIP providers server and post the latency time here on the forum.

Fourthly if all this fails please turn up the verbosity on your asterisk CLI and capture the command line when the call drops and post the output file here

Ichorcom007

Ok Thanks for the info. Since you have this same issue in two different versions of elastix that probably means something is not hooked up right with either your ata, your internet connection, or your sip/IAX trunk. so here are something to try to narrow down your issue.

Firstly , Try hooking up x-lite from www.counterpath.com and try to re-generate dropped calls using the soft-phone. I think this may sove your problem fastest. if this works than you know it is the way your configuring ata.

Secondly, Please make sure all your codecs are set properly. X-lite will not let you use G729, so make sure that your provider is providing you with Ulaw,G729 or GSM. And try those differnent codecs and see if there is difference in drooped calls. The goal here is not to have any transcodeing on your server test this if the first instruction does not solve your problem. Also list the carriers you use please.

Thirdly go to this website and do the online demo. www.myvoipspeed.com if your jitter is too HIGH , you WILL drop calls. also ping your VOIP providers server and post the latency time here on the forum.

Fourthly if all this fails please turn up the verbosity on your asterisk CLI and capture the command line when the call drops and post the output file here

JohnyBeGood

Ok, here's the first test http://mvslax.visualware.com/myspeed/db/report?id=49597
Can you please post yours? just curios.

My primary carrier is future-nine.com secondary is callcentric.com

ping test http://textsnip.com/315986

As far as I know my provider allows Ulaw and that's what I have in trunk setting.

I'll work on x-lite test.

How do I turn on verbosity, can you please explain?

Thanks for your help!

Ichorcom007

Hey thanks for doing those tests , your myvoipspeed.com test looks fine, you are on a godd internet connection, but your latency form the pinging I think is high , all my customers have their latency under 40 ml sec. I am not saying this is definitely the problem , but it could be, also did you make sure all your codecs are lined up properly ? , to turn up the verbosity on asterisk at the elasitx CLI type asterisk -vvvvvvvvr that will set your verbosity to about 9 , now when your at the asterisk CLI you will see much more information when making a call, let me know how the x-lite test went.

JohnyBeGood

Thanks for the reply!
I see what you're saying but I'm not sure what can I do if the FN server is in Florida and I'm in WA state kinda opposite side of country.

Before I started the call I used the suggested command
here's the output http://textsnip.com/f48af6/java

When it happened I was looking in CLI and I didn't noticed anything unusual all what I saw was those lines
Code:
-- ast_get_srv: SRV lookup for '_sip._udp.callcentric.com' mapped to host alpha4.callcentric.com, port 5080
btw, Happy 4th!!!<br><br>Post edited by: JohnyBeGood, at: 2008/07/05 05:58

Ichorcom007

- ast_get_srv: SRV lookup for '_sip._udp.callcentric.com' mapped to host alpha4.callcentric.com, port 5080

This looks suspect. When I do calls on my elastix servers , I really dont see that in the asterisk CLI. YOu should give this company a try, http://www.vitelity.com/ I have been using them for well over 2 years now. They are very good and offer two types of routs. Asterisk should not be doing that type a look up , or they are using a wierd type of setting that I am unaware of. Try them , they also have servers all over the country so you may get on that is closer to you geographically

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dineshr