Realtek 8168

Discussion in 'General' started by izrunas, Aug 27, 2009.

1. izrunas

Considering the sheer number of mainboards that come with Realtek 8168 network interfaces, why isn't this supported by the Elastix ISO? I cannot even begin to tell you how frustrating it is to have mainboard after mainboard require excessive extra work just to make a stupid NIC work.

This has been true for ASUS and INTEL mainboards.

I mean really... no native support for common INTEL mainboards? :-(

2. izrunas

Update: Intel *certifies* the boards we are using for RHEL 5.3 and specifies that all drivers are native in the distro. One very unsatisfactory solution to prevent kernel panics is to disable the onboard NIC and use a PCI NIC card.

3. izrunas

Don't take any of this as anti-Elastix. I am a complete supporter of this distro--I'm just getting bad flashbacks from the old Trixbox project when the developers decided to remove things that were/are important (like drivers).

I'm just shocked that a VERY ubiquitous onboard NIC like a Realtek is not supported by the Elastix distro and in fact will cause kernel panics when trying to install.

Imagine the *bad* experience users would have and the liklihood of switching to another distro just to avoid the problem! I stick with things and try to fix them because I believe in the direction and activity level of this project.