Reality Kicks In

rnrover

I know this is going to be a shock to some but if you are a vendor for a major product like Toshiba, NEC, Avaya, Nortel, and you can fill in the ________________ with whatever major company you can name, your future success is limited.

I have been watching and playing with different Asterisk distros for the last 4 years, and have finally found this distro that is a sleeping giant. Features that surpass the major PBX vendors are still not there for some but the work-a-rounds are fantastic.

What is missing is a disto that uses a laptop power scheme so that when power is out the phones will work for a few hours without power. We are working on that.

Voice over internet will be the standard in 5 years. This product has overcome many challenges that could have been killers to the project, but the one thing that wins in the end is persistence. Without it Asterisk is dead and gone. The latests nail in the coffin for PSTN has got to be eNUM trunks. When everyone has registered, all phone traffic will be free to the world.

I have to say because we are a very large Toshiba dealer our phones have superb sound quality, and is the most easiest system to use, however VOIP now can compete because we have a carrier that can have an automatic backup failsafe route to another carrier or a cell phone.

Create an outside extension for a cell phone and you can transfer a call from the cell phone to anywhere. Can't do that with most carriers.

Gone are the days when Mark Spencer would create a new version and break the previous version. That is why I have waited so long. This is a production ready distro.

Thanks and I will join in with help to develop further.

Chilling_Silence

UPS on Server + on PoE Switch + on Router = Solution :)

dicko

Welcome:

Asterisk can talk to your Toshiba's with FXO, FXS or T(E)1's. ( as it can with NEC, Nortel Mitel Samsung, Avaya etc.) so don't let that slow you down, stick an Elastix box in-line with your traditional PBX. and watch the income flow in.

Jump on the bandwagon . . .

rnrover

UPS on server cannot beat 4 hour battery backup at the card level. You get maybe 20 minutes unless you buy a $400.00 UPS. We are working on a laptop type solution that will run for a couple of hours. The POE switch and outside DSL or T-1 must still have power or the system goes down. No DNS and the phones won't work. We live on the Gulf Coast where power outages from thunderstorms and hurricanes are an issue.

In time these issues can be resolved. Building a DNS server into the distro would be a good start also. I will help develop. We are working on new prompts to give to the project. :woohoo:

dicko

I'm intrigued as to how you get your T1 into the "Laptop" solution.

DNSmasq works as a name server (as does bind) and it's trivial to install. (yum install dnsmasq which will cache your dns and allow graceful dns lookup failures in Asterisk's brain dead stubbornness. Just edit your /etc/dnsmasq.conf file to suit)

When it comes to UPS's you get what you pay for if your CSU and POE switch is not on one, then surely it doesn't matter, broke is broke. If you have one then I think a decent atom type thingy will work for you better than a laptop, add a dual T1 card in line with your PBX and a reasonable failover to CellPhones through SIP (if you still have a UPS'd network) or a loopback out the T1 and Bob's you uncle, way less power used. (you can even get ones than run on your -48v Telco battery system, if you have them)

rnrover

dicko said:
I'm intrigued as to how you get your T1 into the "Laptop" solution.

DNSmasq works as a name server (as does bind) and it's trivial to install. (yum install dnsmasq which will cache your dns and allow graceful dns lookup failures in Asterisk's brain dead stubbornness. Just edit your /etc/dnsmasq.conf file to suit)

When it comes to UPS's you get what you pay for if your CSU and POE switch is not on one, then surely it doesn't matter, broke is broke. If you have one then I think a decent atom type thingy will work for you better than a laptop, add a dual T1 card in line with your PBX and a reasonable failover to CellPhones through SIP (if you still have a UPS'd network) or a loopback out the T1 and Bob's you uncle, way less power used. (you can even get ones than run on your -48v Telco battery system, if you have them)
Toshiba uses 24 volt dc direct to the backbone. T-1 will be used on server version. Small application version with battery power to motherboard is our goal. The atom processor will work fine if we can figure out the battery thingy.

Where is the DNS howto. Would phones work if the downstream DNS server is out?

dicko

As I said:

Jump on the bandwagon, it's all been discussed here before (including DNS failures). . .

>Toshiba uses 24 volt dc direct to the backbone

Does not compute to me, surely your "backbone" is a pair of pairs of wires with 20/60 millamps on them (or an electronic version of the same concept, but not enough to run a PBX) and T1 signalling, if you have a telco supplied -48 volt system which your PBX is running on, then just beg borrow or steal a fuse (or use aluminum foil) and get a box that speaks -48 volts and connect it to the "spare" PSU output you just purloined.

As ever
JM2CW (and for the record I don't condone stealing service from a telco, but then again, I don't agree with "Don't ask, Don't Tell" )

dicko

rafael

Thanks a lot for your words rnrover that inspire us and make us move forward.

About joining the developer it would be a good idea to join the developers mailing list and start reporting bugs in the bug track system.

Best regards and +1 to your karma :)

Rafael

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dineshr