QoS question

Holcroft

I am trying to set up QoS on Elastix 1.6-12.

I note that my default sip_general_additional.conf contains the lines I need to pass the correct dscp markings for QoS:

tos_sip=cs3
tos_audio=ef

However, this file is called from within sip.conf and the relevant line in sip.conf is commented out thus:

[general]

; These files will all be included in the [general] context
;
#include sip_general_additional.conf

So, no problem, I just uncomment that line right? Except that sip.conf states:

;--------------------------------------------------------------------------------;
; Do NOT edit this file as it is auto-generated by FreePBX. All modifications to ;
; this file must be done via the web gui. There are alternative files to make ;
; custom modifications, details at: http://freepbx.org/configuration_files ;
;--------------------------------------------------------------------------------;
;

So, my question is how do I get Elastix to call sip_general_additional.conf without manually removing the comment in sip.conf? Or is this file already being called from elsewhere and the dscp markings are already applied to my system?

Thanks
ed

Bob

Holcroft,

First of all, the #include line is not a comment. It actually includes the file. You comment it out and you break your system. :(

In the early days, sip.conf was the only file that was modified. With the introduction of Freepbx, this changed to sip.conf which then chained to sip_additional.conf which is what Freepbx uses to write its configs when you use the Freepbx GUI. I then believe that sip_custom.conf was introduced to allow others to add manual changes....then further splitting of the files occurred to accommodate other methods....

If you look at sip.conf, you will note that it includes many #include statements such as

#include sip_custom.conf
#include sip_additional.conf

and there are more, but what it means is that these files are included.

Now the general rule is that if you are going to make some custom changes, then you generally do this in the *_custom.conf files. especially with the custom.conf files they come at the end of the chain, meaning what is in there, generally overrides previous statements of the same names if they were set earlier in the SIP_* chain.

I had a look on my system (which is 2.0), and the QOS statements are in sip_general_additonal.conf (which is written by Freepbx) and they are not commented out. So they are being written by Freepbx (part of the reason why they are commented in sip.conf.

If you do need to overwrite the sip_general_additional.conf settings, I would put your settings in sip_general_custom.conf, but only do this if the sip_general_additional is not setting them properly (as it appears that you have found).

Now having said this, the alternative and preferred method, in Unembedded Freepbx in Elastix 2.0, has a section under it called ASTERISK SIP SETTINGS (in freepbx tools menu), where you can add the lines you require under OTHER SIP SETTINGS.

The Benefit here is that you can set these settings, knowing you don't have to touch the config files and they are saved.

Hope this helps

Bob

Holcroft

Thanks Bob.

Your very first line answered my question. I thought the # was commenting the line out in sip.conf.

So that means that the QoS entries are indeed active on my system.

Thanks very much.

ed

Bob

Glad its helped, sorry about the long reply. It's a long standard habit of when I reply to posts, that I add additional detail, not so much for the original poster, but for anyone else reading the message.

Regards

Bob

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marouen