Provisioning Polycom Soundpoint IP 321

Discussion in 'General' started by vpeppers, Jul 29, 2010.

1. vpeppers

I am so frustrated. I have spent the better part of a day trying to provision my new Polycom SP IP 321. I have read page after page on the Internet. It is all so confusing. Edit this file. Edit that file. All I want is for the SP 321 to show up on the Endpoint Configuration page, and to properly configure the phone. I have downloaded the files from the Polycom web site, but I have no idea what to do with them.

I am running Elastix 1.6-12 in a virtual machine, using HyperV on a Windows Server 2008 R2 host. My DHCP is Windows Small Business Server 2008. I see all kinds of options to add to my DHCP server, but Windows doesn't have those options that I know of. I am really lost, and don't know what to do about it.

When I try to set up my phone, all I have for phones available are IP 301, IP 320, IP 330, and a bunch of higher end phones. How do I get my IP 321 in the list? How do I get the phone to understand where to look for the files? I need explicit instructions, as this is my first time.

2. fibble

3. luisen

Hi

I spent several weeks dealing with Soundpoint 500, so it needs to be patient and go step by step

1.Verify bootrom and SIP versions to be the version compatible.
    2. Configure the phone manually for extension/password to register in Elastix
    3. Verify the network an access the phone via web and confirm the configuration, Web conf overrides manual conf, and sometimes the manual conf is not setup porperly

Good luck

LEA

4. vpeppers

Thanks for the great info. Unfortunately, the provisioning tool you pointed me to will only work with FreePBX 2.8, and Elastix is not compatible with 2.8. Meanwhile, I have manually provisioned my phones, and am looking at other manufacturers (Grandstream, Yealink, etc.)

5. razrazraz

I just sent a reply to your question but when I hit submit it logged me off and I lost everything. I am a newbie also. This is what I have found. There is a php file PaloSanto made that builds the provisioning files from a Polycom configuration library after you do the "set" entry on the configurator.

The problem is that the files are outdated for the new phones. In my case the phone does a continuous reboot. I tried modifying the php file to reflect the new changes but it wouldn't work. I know this can be done, but I am not the guy at this time. I had to use a tftp server on one of my computers with the factory config files in the root folder. You can get free tftp servers on the net. you can get up to date Polycom files from their website. Get the split files.

Once you have done that modify a copy of the sip.cfg file with an editor like Serna Free to fit your needs. Then, using WINSCP replace the sip.cfg file located in tftpboot on the Elastix server with your new file. Now yourphones will boot up properly.

Before you try to configure a phone, put them on the network but don't put in the Elastix server address, and let Elastix discover them. Unplug them and then do the "set" entry. Replace the sip.cfg file, plug the phones back in and set the server address to the Elastix server and it should work.

I don't know if adding more phones will rewrite the sip.cfg file or not I think it will so this prpbably isn't the best solution, but it worked for me I hope this helps.

Randy

6. hinzinho

7. razrazraz

I did that, but after I got it installed, I could no longer see the Elastix PBX Configuration Module. I think I am stuck with waiting on Elastix ti catch up.

Thanks
    Randy