Provisioning Aastra phones using tftp

Discussion in 'General' started by yesmat, Mar 22, 2009.

1. yesmat

Hi,

We are almost done with our first commercial install of Elastix. After ironing out few wrinkles during the install, due to our inexperience with Elastix, we have come to the provisioning of our 4 Aastra phones (2 x 51i and 2 x 53i).

The server has detected the phones immediately via the Endpoint Manager. We have also successfully SET them all to their respective extensions.

When we rebooted the phones we expected them to download their xxx.cfg files, register to the Asterisk server and be ready to make/receive calls. But that wasn't the case. They remained with their old configs.

Our lab DHCP server doesn't provide option 66, do we have to manually configure this option on the phones? is there any thing else we need to do to get these phones to download their configs from the server?

Thanks for your help.

2. dicko

Endpoint provisioning for Aastra phones is very broken in Elastix 1.3 there are typo's in the provisioning files and a case error in the .cfg names. Search these forums (Aastra) for fixes/alternatives. (Including an alternative to option66 in DHCP, (Avahi/Bonjour)

3. yesmat

I couldn't find any information using search, but I think best thing to do is create .cfg files on a SIPX server (I think they have the best tftp server in the industry) and then copy that across to /tftp directory of the Elastix box.

4. dicko

That's interesting, putting "aastra provisioning" in the search box gave me 20 results, most pertinent to your query.

surely SIPX (which does not have a tftp server, it uses the system provided one) will provision the phones for itself, not your elastix server.

I suggest you look into the aastra xml scripts available from aastra, rpm locations (from third parties) available on these forums apply the patches (also available on these forums) . Or wait till next week for elastix 1.5. (and no I'm not going to search the forums for you! :) but http://www.elastix.org/index.php?option ... rt=0#16812 works for me )