programing using and elastix or freepbx or both?

Discussion in 'General' started by tbooth, Apr 25, 2009.

1. tbooth

Couple questions on this.
    1. when programing a new system is it best to use one method like the elastix interface or can you use both elastix and freepbx without causing any database issue? All of the things in freepbx are not present in the elastix interface.

2. If you choose to use the elastix interface should you still update the freepbx modules and keep them up to date on a regular basis?

Thanks

2. rafael

1) You can use both, that is the way Elastix is made. We use freepbx and you can add your own modules to the freepbx installation, and you can create your own modules throw Elastix web interface.

2) Yes.

I would recomend you to register to the developers mailing list so that you can get the answers from the pros ;).

Best Regards,

Rafael

3. Bob

Bob

Tbooth,

I suspect that when you are using the word programming, you are referring to the actual setup of extensions, trunks, ring groups etc.

If this is the case, then the option is yours. Using either one will not cause an issue as they write to the same database. So if you do most of your "programming" via the Elastix PBX interface, and then find that there is a feature that you need that is actually in the Freepbx interface, then you go into the Freepbx interface to use that feature.

I personally do most of the setup for 60% of the systems that we implement, via the Elastix interface, as they only need to the basic setup, but occasionally they might want the day/night switch, then I jump into Freepbx to complete this part.

Updating Freepbx modules should not upset the Elastix interface as in general, the Elastix PBX part is just a wrapper of the various Freepbx modules, so it is still using the same code from the Freepbx system. On a few rare occasions, Freepbx may make a change that upsets the "wrapping" of the code, which may cause a change in the Elastix PBX interface, but it is rare, and if it happens it is normally corrected once a bug report is raised to Elastix developers.

Regards

Bob