Problems trying to install WordPress 3.1 (latest)

Discussion in 'General' started by om1d3, Mar 26, 2011.

1. om1d3

I'm trying to use Elastix's apache server to also have an organisation blog. For that I've installed and configured BIND that is currently running and am in process of installing WordPress. The problem is that after I configured wp-config.php and attempt to run wp-admin/install.php nothing is shown in my browser. No error, no success message, nothing. Blank.
    After some digging I understood that because PHP had the option --without-mysql when compiled is the culprit. My question is that really this is the problem and if so what is the correct approach as far as Elastix's way of handling things is.
    Thanks.

2. fmvillares

as installing wordpress is a hack into apaches elastix config i think its not a questiom for this forum...

3. om1d3

I figured that probably someone else attempted to install WordPress. This forum is probably for voice related questions.
    Sorry about the inconvenience.

4. dicko

It would depend where you installed your software.

if in /var/www/html/<whatever>

then a browse to

http(s)://<your_server/<whatever>

should work,

If you installed it in

/var/www/html

then that was a bad thing don't do that.

dicko

It is up to you to do the httpd config stuff if necessary , you installed it after all . . . . );

5. om1d3

I know it should work but it doesn't. For the testing I commented the mod_rewrite from configuration files so it won't send all HTTP requests to HTTPS. I did install it in /var/www/html/blog so there wern't any issues in removing the files at a later time.
    Look, with all do respect, I'm asking help AFTER I did a reading session on the internet and experimented. Please stop assuming I'm a moron. I just need a little help, not an average IQ brain because mine is retarded. I've done some digging in the system, I've created the mysql user and tables with the rights, I've altered the configuration file to stop sending all requests to HTTPS and checked if apache was working correctly by putting some files in another folder under /var/www/html to check if I can reach them.
    Back to the problem the main symptom in my opinion is that there is no reaction in browser when the .php file is called. No error, no incomplete file, no 404. Just a white page. I don't know where could I check to see how PHP feels about that particular page (something like an error or a warning on the PHP part).

6. dicko

then fmvillares was correct, you need to refer to the Wordpress forum, all Elastix offers is a functional apache web server, the rest is "your problem" , no? ;)

dicko

p.s.I assume nothing, I read the posts, yours included, perhaps yours have been "incomplete" ?

7. om1d3

What I was hoping for was an advice on how to install mod_php WITH mysql support since CentOS is not my distro of choice. I did found a little advice on that searching trough the forum, but it was on using PHP 5.3 beta and I don't know if that isn't going to break other stuff inside Elastix.

8. dicko

Unfortunately for you the Elastix php is stuck at

php -v
    PHP 5.1.6 (cli) (built: Mar 31 2010 02:44:37)
    Copyright (c) 1997-2006 The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v2.1.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2006 Zend Technologies

you will have to back-peddle

there are ways to update php from the epel repositories, unfortunately Elastix is not fully compliant, some things will probably break if you do that.

dicko

p.s. If you get pissy again, you are on your own :)

9. om1d3

I don't mind the version, what I want is a PHP any-version-is-already-installed but with mysql option when mod_php was compiled (as seen in phpinfo() ). Simple. What I don't know is how to do that withowt breaking the rest of Elastix, therefore I came for help here, at Elastix's home.

10. dicko

Then please either report your perceived bug in the "bug-tracker" link below.

Or think about . . ."What I don't know is how to do that withowt breaking the rest of Elastix" . . .

Your question is reentrant perhaps until you so understand? it is truly your server, no?

11. om1d3

I agree, it is my server that's why I am the one asking the questions and not demanding it to fix itself. On the other hand I thought maybe if someone else might have an opinion it would be great. After all there are tens of thousands forum registered users...

12. dicko

Truly, no one can possibly tell you what you screwed up, but without doubt you did, please try over after RTFM (all of them)

This is a forum to help Elastix users, please understand, your insecurities should start with the wordpress community, not here!, no ?

13. om1d3

I just asked for help. If you can help, please do. If not, that's also ok, it isn't mandatory. Maybe others can.
    On the other hand if you think WordPress community is capable on helping me install a different PHP on Elastix than sure, I'll talk with them, maybe they won't be so hostile. Speak about insecurities...

14. dicko

I'm not hostile, I just suspect you have not fully prepared yourself yourself yet as a web provider, it generally takes "a little while".

I'm just telling you that Elastix is a little retrograde. Others maybe will offer their own opinions. but I suggest that to update php in Elastix will be at your own peril.

You have to identify and separate your needs asked from what was offered , each need needs support from the mother ship, no? :)

15. kingjm

you need to create a file in /etc/httpd/conf.d/domain.com.conf and create a virtual domain
    and make a directory /var/www/domain.com and put your wordpress in this directory
    ie:

<VirtualHost 192.168.0.1>
    DocumentRoot /var/www/domain.com
    ServerName www.domain.com
    <Directory "/var/www/domain.com">
    allow from all
    Options +Indexes
    </Directory>
    ServerAlias domain.com
    </VirtualHost>

then restart apache

16. conduitguy

Well, this is waaaay over my head, but I've spent a fair amount of time fooling around trying to get php scripts to work on my elastix server. What you said about putting test files in some directory and they worked, makes me ask the really stupid question. Have you checked permissions? I'm sure you have, but I've been known to go way off the deep end on a troubleshooting spree only to find I tripped over the power cord.

I thought it needed to be asked.

Best of luck.

17. conduitguy

Well, this is waaaay over my head, but I've spent a fair amount of time fooling around trying to get php scripts to work on my elastix server. What you said about putting test files in some directory and they worked, makes me ask the really stupid question. Have you checked permissions? I'm sure you have, but I've been known to go way off the deep end on a troubleshooting spree only to find I tripped over the power cord.

I thought it needed to be asked.

Best of luck.

18. om1d3

@conduitguy:I followed the install guide from wordpress.org and there were no permissions involved. Please tell me what permissions are there to be checked and I'll check them.

@kingjm: thank you, it's good to know but I only have one domain so I'll use the blog in a folder under /var/www/html/blog in order to have it as www.domain.net/blog. If I buy another domain I'll use your advice for sure.