Problems calling a specific phone number

jstraten

I am using elastix for quite some time now and everything seems to work great. I can make great calls with excellent call quality.

However, I am still having one problem that I simply can't resolve. Basically, my wife can't call her parents 90% of the time. I mean the call connects, but then you hear a lot of symmetric static noise (kind of like an up and down hiss). You can also hear each other, but the static noise is overwhelming and so you can't have a conversation.

On the other hand almost every other call including my parents living in another country completes without any problem.

Here is what I did so far:
- Checked for packet loss; nothing, no lost packets
- Provided 256kb up/down dedicated bandwidth in pfSense
- Problem is there with or without pfSense

Hardware:
- Dedicated hardware for elastix
- Dedicated hardware for pfSense
- Rhino card with echo cancellation to connect local phones

Internet connection:
- Externally, elastix has a dedicated IP address that is routed to an internal IP using pfSense
- Connection is 6000/768

I am somehow suspicious that there is some kind of line noise that interacts with the echo cancellation. Bottom line is I need to resolve it somehow...

The problem occasionally happens for other phone numbers as well, but it can normally corrected with another call. However, for other numbers it happens like 1 in 20 and for my wife parent's phone number it happens like 17 in 20.

Any experts out there that have some advise for me?

Thanks,
Jens

Patrick_elx

how are you connecting to your parents phone?
via a sip provider? via a PRI? direct sip connexion?

ramoncio

Hi jstraten, wellcome to the forum.

How does your wife call her parents? I mean, which technology does the outside trunk use? SIP, IAX2, dahdi using analog/digital lines? This is the most important information you should have given, and also your telco/voip provider.

Have you tried using a softphone, as Zoiper or Xlite, instead of the Rhino fxs ports? Does the problem persist? You could try that.

Have you used fxotune with your fxo ports, in case you use dahdi+analog lines? This is important.

jstraten

Thank you to both of you for getting back to me.

I have a Rhino card with one module (2 ports) that is connected to my analog phone.

Outbound calls are handled by a SIP provider (BroadVoice).

I will install xlite for my wife and test again.

Yesterday, I learned that is causing the problems (at my wife's parents home) is connected to a DSL filter. Now, I am suspicious that it could be a broken filter. Is it possible that a broken splitter could cause static noise that interacts with the echo cancellation?

I also observed a light echo on normal calls. What is the best course of action to reduce that? Should I just reduce rx and txgain? Which is causing echo for me to hear?

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks,
Jens

jstraten

I am still trying to get some replacement DSL filters for their phones, but I have made one more observation. They can call us anytime without problems.

Will try to test using a soft phone in the next few days.

Cheers,
Jens

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salman0.0