PRI and Fax lines

Discussion in 'General' started by hinzinho, Oct 2, 2009.

1. hinzinho

I am about to get a PRI circuit with 23 voice lines. Out of those 23 lines, I need 3 lines for fax machines. Can I install 3 FXS ports on the Elastix server and hook up the fax machines to the FXS ports? How can I route the lines to the fax machines?

PRI is completely new to me. Thank you!

2. dwells

If you intend on doing that much faxing, elastix come with IAXmodem + Hyla fax installed. There is a great tutorial here: http://elastixconnection.com/downloads/ ... _tears.pdf Chapter 21, page 123. on all your virtual faxing. (FAX2EMAIL)

Since you are using PRI, they should be 100% after tweaking RX-TX settings.

I also took it a step further and installed AvantFAX (watch the virtual host setup, it will redirect the elastix dashoard page) change the port it listens on and you're golden.

This will suit ALL inbound AND OUTbound faxing, from web based GUI.

We do Hundreds of faxes per week with probably 4 9's...(99.9999% success)

Hope that helps
    -dwellsy

3. jessie

Hi dwell,

If I may ask, does your setup wit fax line is via a PRI also? Or it is via SIP trunk provided like DDI or DID? I am seeking of a solution for a long time, frustratedly. I have a SIP DID trunk line in NZ, it works very well with voice but not on the Fax. Sending fax from NZ PSTN lines into the SIP DID number configured onto my Elastix did not work or shall I say never work.

If you have some ideas to share, I really appreciate it.

Best Regards,

Jessie

4. dwells

Currently I use a Digium WCTDM-24xxP with echo cancel. I chose this card for future growth, we are not using the whole thing yet.

There are 2 dedicated PSTN Fax lines for inbound and outbound. Elastix wrapped system (1.6-7) with preinstalled IAXModem + HylaFax. And Latest AvantFAX was installed later!

With tweaking I can easy say we have 3 9's (99.999% uptime and inbound)of success, maybe 4, I havn't really done the math, and it's still in infantcy. (100% outbound)

I have found in my sandboxes that using ONLY SIP based DID calling in or out, that the success rate DRASTICALLY decreases. InBound = maybe 70% Outbound = 50/50 depending on what's on the other end.
    If you plan to use ALL VoIP SIP DID's make sure your provider handles T.38 protocall and you are always using ULAW for faxing. any other coded causes compression and WILL ruin a fax call.

If the faxes NEVER worked, there is most definatly a setup issue. Look for Elastix without tears, page 123(chapter 21 i think). This is how to setup virtual faxing.

Hope that helps too!
    -dwellsy

5. Bob

Bob

Dwells,

That is a good synopsis and concurs with all the setups that we have out in the field over the last few years. It has proven 100% reliable using the PRI method, with many clients running multiple fax lines.

hinzinho,

The best way to go is as Dwells said, but to answer your question, as your needs may slightly different, yes you can run a PRI in and have it go to FXS ports with faxes plugged in. It is recommended however, that your FXS ports are card based with both your PRI and FXS card in the same ELastix system. This is to make sure that the clocking is a common one to keep that 99.999% reliability. However, I have also seen a reliable setup with a SIP based ATA that supports T38 connected locally to an Elastix system.

Regards

Bob