postfix email issue with Fax

torontob

Hello Guys,

I am using sympatico internet sevice here in Toronto, Canada. It seems like my ISP doesn't let me send mail. So, I have tried lots of different settings to get the FAX to E-mail working but I haven't succeded. Can someone please paste their main.cf file here or any other configuration file that relates to FAX to Email?

Thanks a lot

Bob

Torontob,

You say that your ISP does not let you send mail. Does this mean that you do not have any email program that receives and send your mail at the moment like Outlook or similar??

If you can send mail from your desktop, then Elastix should be able to send mail. The main thing is to find out how your ISP accepts mail. Does it use straight SMTP, SMTP with Auth, SMTP Via SSL. If you already have a mail program setup, you can glean most of the information from there.

IF you haven't already, have a look at Elastix Without Tears Guide, which details the various EMail setups and many have used this with success.

Regards

Bob

torontob

Thanks for the reply. The ISP is Bell Canada (Sympatico). smtphm.sympatico.ca is the SMTP outgoing settings. I followed whatever I could find in Elastix Without Tears but I have no luck getting it right. I have the cubemail too but I can't see why it won't work. I constantly got STARTTLS error which I figured out was related to SSL and I had SSL turned on in main.cf. I also created a hash file with my sympatico mail and password. Now, when I use the cubemail, msgs show in sent folder. Nothing bounces back but nothing also goes through or receives at destination.

In addition, I would like to know if Sendmail command in linux is the same as postfix or using postfix to send mail? if it is, what is a simple command for sendmail in linux to send a quick sentence through the shell access?

Below are snippets of main.cf:

################################
#Ingresado por yb-webadmin
mydomain = xyz.ca
myhostname = elastix1.myrealdomain.local
mydomain2 = xyz.ca

# tls config
smtp_use_tls = yes

smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
smtp_sasl_security_options =
###################################

Bob

Torontob,

First of all, for the time being, lets leave Cubemail out of the equation. It is not required for basic email out functionality, and brings in a few more complexities.

So lets work on the Postfix mail failure.

Can you supply the relevant clipping of the \var\log\maillog, in particular the part where it goes to send an email. This does not necessarily mean that you have to receive a fax to get it to send an email, as the same system is used for Voicemail To Email, so you could setup a Voicemail on one of your extensions, and dial directly to the voicemail (E.g. *201 - If you setup voicemail on extension 201). This will allow you to test quickly, and repeatedly.

Also found this little snippet on Sympatico http://www.dslreports.com/faq/sympat/3.1_Email . Basically it says that they will not allow you to run your own SMTP server (this might be old info - but lets work with it for the moment).

What I also found is that some users found issues with the smtphm, and used Smtp8 or similar.

From the very brief look, it appears that the SSL is not necessary, but available. Again removing another complexity, I suggest leaving it out.

So what this means is that we must relay through their mail server. So my recommendation is that on Postfix we do the following

* Setup Postfix for Relay (absolutely necessary - looks like a Mail client to Sympatico)
* Remove all authentication mechanisms
* remove any SSL/TLS

Once done, then look at the logs as described above and post the relevant part. The relay method is clearly documented in Elastix without Tears as it is the main method of many as many ISP's do force Port 25 through their own SMTP server.

Regards

Bob

torontob

Amazing tips. Right after I changed smtphm to smtp8 everything started working. I recieved mail that I sent yesterday through Cubemail and I started getting FAX and VM. However 2 issues remain now:

1- My maillog is empty. I have to admit that I deleted the file maillog, maillog.1, maillog.2, messeges, etc... from /var/log yesterday. But then, I created an empty maillog file which still remains empty. Is this normal or should there be some sent confirmation save in maillog file?

2- If I check mark the Email Attachment in FreePBX for Voicemail right after I press # I get, "Your msg has been sent. I am sorry, an Error has occured" and it seems like it doesn't get to my Inbox either.

3- I think I have widely tampered settings in main.cf. Is there any way I could get the clean file again?

Thanks,
Bruce

Bob

Bruce,

Good to hear that you are getting somewhere.

Attached is a clear Main.CF file http://forum.elastix.org/old_files/main-47559f5dd565bf84422699a7786c5be5.zip

At the end of the file, just replace yourdomain with correct one. I think it is rewritten, when you change the hostname of your Elastix system if you want to do it the right way.

As for the maillog, I am not sure, as I have never deleted them. However, I suspect that you might get it back when the usual cron job or you may have to touch the file once you create it manually.

I am not sure what is happening to you voicemail.Sounds like a separate problem, especially if you are getting an error. Sounds like a rights issue. Did you restore the current Freepbx setup??

Regards

Bob

torontob

Once again you guessed it just right. I shouldn't say guessed it; your hypothesis was right. I touched the maillog file and it fixed the FreePBX Voicemail attachment problem even though there are no logs yet but I don't care because everything works just well. Also, thanks for the file. I am extremely happy with the level of support and attention on Elastix forums nowadays than one used to get 1 year ago. You rock Bob !!!

Cheers

Bob

Bruce,

Great to hear that you have got most things sorted out.

You are right about the forums and Elastix in general. The Guys at Elastix are really pushing hard to get things right, and the forum rebuild was a major move forward, and as you have already witnessed, a lot more responses are coming through. Rafael has made some great strides in getting the community involved, along with Edgar and others. There is a lot more happening behind the scenes as well.

You can see the impact that there work is having. In a popular Australian VoIP forum, nearly every Asterisk Category message, used to start off with "I have installed Trixbox". This has very much changed to "I have installed Elastix".

Anyhow, hope you continue to enjoy Elastix and thank you for your comments and feedback as it does help others in similar situations..

Regards

Bob

rafael

thanks a lot bob +1 for your karma ;)

torontob don't forget to increase bobs karma he really dissevers it.

Bob

Thanks Rafael,

As you know yourself, the more the community is involved, the more people to help. You never know, Bruce is asking the questions now, but next week, he might be solving an issue or giving a run down on integrating some new product into Elastix, or helping someone with a mail issue.:cheer:

Regards

Bob

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dineshr