port opening seperately for incoming and outgoing

Discussion in 'General' started by j99991, Jan 19, 2009.

1. j99991

hello.
    i'm a new member here and recently i ask alot of questions about elastix and appliances system. we would like to get an appliance which will be bbased on an elastix system. however we have recently discovered another problem we can encounter while trying to use the system. wethough abnout a solution which maybe work and i would like to ask what you think about it.

we would like to c0onnect our appliance to our sbox router and then connect sip trunks to it. of course we will need to open a port so we could do that. to the elastix applince we will connect softphone anjd sip phones. we would like to have 2 phone numbers connect to the system. 1 which will lets the people go to an ivr system and another which will connect the caller to a remote place.
    since we would like to have a good quaality calls we understood that we will need to qos the port that we will use in order to make the calls.
    however by giving a qos to a ceratin port without any limitation there could be a situation when many people call us, we would like to have the ability to get multipal incoming calls on the sip trunk, and since we can not control the number of people calling us the port could make use of all of ower bandwith. this means that since we can't control the port or the number of people who are calling us the couldf be asituation when we wont have the ability to make outgoing calls or to just to use our data internet because many people are calling us.
    in order to solve this we though about a soltuion.
    we though about giving a maximum bandwith usage limitation to our port which was qosed.
    by that we could get a certain n umber of in coming calls which will still exceeds 1 and also make a regualr use of our data internet without it being damaged. could that solution is fine and correct?
    if so we though about another problem.
    if we give a maximum bandwith usage limitation to the port and still ot being able to control the number of peoplecalling us then there could be a situation when many people are calling to the appliance and because of that we wont be able to make outgoing calls.
    in order to solve this i would like to ask if we could define 2 ports on the elastix system.1 for incoming calls which will be qosed and limited and 1 for outoing calls which will be qosed and limited so it wont damage our data internet abilities. could that solution is good and able to be done ? is there any beter solutions?

needs number2.
    in a remote place we will have softphones and sip phones which will be connect to a remmote sbox. this sbox will be connected to our local sbox which has the applince connected to it.
    we would like to have another phone number for the remote place and when people will call it they will reach the remote place phones.
    we would like to ask if we can give the remote phones an incoming port and an outgoing port and to define both with qos and also to give the incoming port a maximum bandwith usage limitation in order to prevent the situation i gave before and in order to allow outgoing callswithout any problem. does this a good solution in order to not famage out data internet ability in both places and in order to be able to have outgoing calls without incmoing calls not allowing beacuse of bandith usage?

if there are any better solution it will help us alot if you copuld let us know about them since we do not know the system that good.

thanks
    j99991

2. j99991

3. telecomtechnician

Hi there

It seems you are new to asterisk, elastix and the networking world. Welcome, but be patient, READ and LEARN. Please, read my suggestions:

1) For the type of service you want, the first thing you have to know is the amount of incoming or outgoing calls the system will have to support (10, 50, 100, 500, 1000 calls per day?) Based on this information, your server could be a simple or a very robust one.

2) Based on the internal voice traffic, you have to pay attention to your network, can I install VOIP over the existing one or should I create a VLAN?, or just put another physical LAN besides the existing one?

3) The provider of your sip trunk can configure them, based on the quantity of calls you expect and the bandwidth available. You can even buy TWO or MORE sip trunks, a few for incoming and the others for outgoing.

4) If you have router/switches with QoS you can control the traffic inside your network and internet connection (priority of voice packets, over data packets) all of this can be directly related to bandwidth usage.

Do a deep analisys of the needs and expectations of the phone system, and the network BEFORE putting this solution on production. You could have a GREAT VOIP solution or a NIGHTMARE if you do not plan correctly your installation.

Waiting for your comments

David Medina

4. Chilling_Silence

I would highly suggest you do a lot of research on the internet, a simple forum post probably wont just suffice.

As for multiple calls, if you QoS either the IP of the target Elastix box, or all UDP ports 10000-20000 & 5060, then that'll go a long way towards helping :)

5. j99991

i thank you for your replys.

i had been constructing the system to meet our needs for almost 2 months including coming to know elastix asterisk sip and more information.

since we would like a system that will be able to connect to 5 local phones and almost 10 remote ones including mobile phones i think we will need a robust system which includes intel dual core 2 2 ghz 1gb 800mhz ram and 2 fxo to connect the system to pots just to have a backup and also to recieve calls on them.

in that case i also undersstand that the bandwith we have now 1.5/150 is not sufficient and we are waiting to upgrade it.

since we would like to eliminate a situation in which many people call to the system an thus not allowing us to use the internet or to use outgoing calls we though about qos. i though about giving the outgoing calls thier own port and qos it to be preffered and also to give another qos to the second port which will use for incoming and calls and allowing it to recieve only several calls.

i only do not know if there is an ability in elsatix to create 1 port for outgoing calls and another for incmoing. is there any option to do this?

i only though about this solution since the system would have the ability to have many phones connected to it 10-20 or more. thus i wanted to find a solution. after thinking about such i just wanted to ask you the experts what do you think about it and if it could work with the elastix system since do not know it yet.

about vlans we are about to connect all remote places with vlan in order to make it simple as possible.
    about the ability to use voip we checked that with the company who supplied it to use and we could use voip and sip protocols with our router.

what i need to know is what do you think about this solution?
    again making 2 ports 1 to recieve calls and 1 to make calls on.
    the recieve port will be qosed in order to have good quality calls and also traffic shapped to allow only a certain amout of calls and thus eliminating a maximum usage of our bandwit. the outgoing calls port will be qos and preffered in order to allow good quality calls.

can it be done with elastix ? will elastix support this? out equipment could i just do not know if elastix could and if the solution is good enough so i just wanna know what you think about it.

thanks
    j99991

6. Chilling_Silence

No, RTP as a protocol uses lots of ports.

Elastix doesnt do QoS, your router / modem will.

7. j99991

well i do not know what rtp is. i tried reading about it but i guess i didn't now understand what it is. if any 1 could give an explination for this that could be good.

now regarding my question, i understand that elastix will not be the one to do the qos. the router will define the qos rules and regulations however i just wanted to make sure that elastix will be able to be qosed or that it sip channels will be able to be qosed without any problem. does elastix has any problem with being qosed or it's sip trunks being qosed?

reagrding the idea i gave, again i do not know what rtp is, but i just suggested generally to open 1 port for incoming calls and 1 for outgoing calls is that posible with elastix? can i define the 1 port will be for outgoing calls and 1 for incoming calls at each extention? will elastix let me do that?

regarding the technical side of this idea do you think that be defining 1 port for incoming and 1 port for outgoing calls and giving qos for the outgoing calls and of course to the ports that are being use for data internet , could this solution be ok in order to prevent a situation in which i can not make outgoing calls cause elastix receives too many calls from outside and thus there is no bandwith in order to make outgoing calls or for surfing the internet?

thank you
    j99991

8. j99991

hello

i saw no one replied to me idea or criticized it weither for good or bad.
    i'm writing this reply again. i hope you will be able to assist since a solution to this problem is more then needed and could be one of the most factor to install\unistall ippbx.

thanks
    j99991

9. ramoncio

You need to get more bandwidth. 150k upload is very poor.
    Have in mind that VoIP uses simmetric bandwidth, so now the bottleneck in in your upload speed.
    A sip communication uses 2 protocols, sip for signalling (by default port 5060) and rtp to transmit the voice. RTP uses a range of ports (by default 10000-20000), but can be modified in rtp.conf. You can change the sip port used by an extension or a trunk, but not the rtp ports, so no, you can't use QoS as you want. Maybe tou can get 2 internet connections, one for incoming and one for outgoing traffic. This would allow you to do waht you want.

10. ramoncio

11. j99991

i thank you for your reply,

i do understand and know that the need of a wider bandwidth is necessary, however in my country the maxium current internet speed startnds on 8-10 mbps. those are very expenssive packages whichi cannot effort. that is why i was trying to think of this kind of a solution. moreover even if i had a grater speed to exploite i would have still wanted to use this kind of a soltuion since the the data internet and the voip internet are not seperated and are on the same network. thus, i want to prevent any scenario in which too many cals are being received and thus not allowming me to use the data internet or to make outbound calls.
    regarind bandwidth, i do not have such knowledge regarding the codecs since i'm unexperienced. however , i think i would like to use g711 or at g729, g729 is prefered because of the low bandwidth usage. pls corret me if i'm wrong but as far as i know g711 uses approx. 64 kbps for a calls while g729 uses approx. 15 is that correct? however i do now know if those numbers needed to be multiplied or not?
    if you can help me with that question as well it will helpme alot.

futhermore, i would like to ask , i understand that sip uses port 5060 can i define a diffrent port ?

at your msg you mentioned rtp. however since i'm kinda new i do not know what you mean by that, can you give some more information or reffer me to any source which could answer this question?

thank you
    j99991

12. ramoncio

Yes you can define a different sip port, but as I told you sip just handles the signalling, and after the call is established, the voice is transported into the rtp packets. This is the main bandwidth usage, and you need to make it as stable as possible to avoid sound problems.
    Have a look at the bandwith calculator link I've sent you and you'll find out what your needs are.
    Consider to get 2 cheap internet connections as I also told you.

13. j99991

mmoreover i jsut read your second msg to me just after i posted mines.
    i understood from the first msg that you do not think that there willbe a possible way to qos the pbx or port.
    in that case, and if you already read the above msg from me, because of the low bandwidth abilities and since the internet network will be used for both data internet and voip i will need to find a solution to the problem or a scenario on which too many calls are being received by the ivr. this situation could not alloow m e to initiate calls or to use the data internet. thus, i would like to ask if you think that i coulkd use another way to overocme this problem ?

thank you
    j9991

14. j99991

unfortunetally i already checked this and currently because of the high prices i will not be able to have 2 internet connections. pls also note that i will consider to connect the pbx to another 2 remote places. by according to ypour advice and if i understand it good i will need to have another 2 internet connections for both of the places. this means summing up with 6 internet connections which is very very high price, needs more phone lines in order to pass the adsl on an so on.

thank you
    j99991

15. ramoncio

If you setup Qos properly with a good router, you shouldn't mind about your data connection. VoIP would have the highest priority and the data packets would be transmitted when they don't affect the VoIP quality.
    Have in mind that you also need to prioritize RTP traffic (ports 10000-20000 udp) with high priority, not just the SIP traffic.

16. ramoncio

If you don't have enough and stable bandwidth then you are screwed. Again, look at the bandwith calculator.
    You don't need 4Mb. But as I told you, as the VoIP traffic is simmetric, you need to get the highest upload possible, normally you have much more download speed.
    Try to route some calls using the PSTN.

17. j99991

yes from your previous msg i understood that there are 2 ports. sip which is a sginaling and the rtp which is the impoirtant one.
    i didn't know about the rtp or what it is before and i thank you for acknowledging me with it.
    i do not know if you read all of my first msg.
    as i mentioned the pbx will be connected to 2 more remote places.
    i would like to to have a port , weither sip or rtp i dunno which one should be usingthe port, which will handle the outgoing calls and will be qosed and a port which will handle the incoming calls, which will be limited to a certain amount of bandwidth usage in order to allow me to make outgoing calls and also to use the data internet with no problems. as i mentioned i'm afraid that many incoming calls , which i can not control on weither they will be done or not and a low speed internet connection, could makeme not being able to use the data internet or so initiate calls.
    this i will need to be done on the first phone number to numbers.
    moreover i will need to have another pghone nubmer which wil lbe connected to another remote place. there i will need to do the same thing 1 outgoing port and 1 incoming port.

i will mentioned that i use the sbox router which can allow me to reshape traffic on certain ports and also to define certain ports as preffered, qos them.

i will need tofind a way to allow this in order to be able to initiate calls with no problem an to use the data internet with no problem.

pls note, all places will be vpned together.

thank you
    j99991

18. j99991

regarding pstn we wouyldn't like to use pstn lines only in immergincies.

moreover pls note that when i say 4mpbs i do not mean symmetric 4 mpbs. in my country a 4 mpbs package of bandwidth has 250-500 kbps upload.

thank you
    j99991

19. j99991

i would also like toask if there is any way to contact you. i find you experinced and i think that my prblem is too complexed then talking on it here.

thank you

20. ramoncio

So now you are worried about bandwidth problems for incoming and outgoing calls, and still you plan to connect two remote branches with vpns? I find it a bit crazy, don't you?
    This also consumes bandwidth, and a bit more for the vpn overhead. So I can't imagine how you are going to do this.
    No bandwidth => screwed
    In many routers you can setup QoS making a difference for incoming and outgoing traffic. Elastix doesn't do any QoS.
    So I think your only option is to get 2 internet connections, at least in your main branch and a good router with good QoS able to configure ingoing and outgoing traffic and 2 wan ports.
    And maybe you should consider getting an expert to do the installation and configuration for you, as you'll need to study and finetune your network. But they'll do what I've just told you.