Polycom 550 can't find boot server

kmullen

Ok I've searched the forums and I'm not finding my problem listed here. I have used the elastix endpoint configurator (Latest release on X64). Elastix finds my polycom phone, select IP 550, and associate with extension.

I have checked and the configuration file and reg files are being written to the /tftpboot directory.

I factory reset the phone (it goes to last config because it can't find the boot esrver.
Then went into admin menu and set server to tftp, added proper IP address, added username and password for that extension. Then rebooted the phone.

Still can't find boot server and it reloads it's old config.

I also tried this same process, keeping the username and password as set by factory default. That doesn't work either.

Hope someone can help I have to convert a small system of about 30 phones.

dingoland

Hi,

Does your dhcp server is your elastix server ?
If yes, no need to change something, just verifying your tftpboot folder is readable by phones.
If not, do you specify the tftp server option (field 66 i believe) in your dhcp server ?
If not, you have to specify the tftpboot ip address manually in the phones.

I got the same problem with my cisco phones as my dhcp server is not my elastix server.

Regards

kmullen

My first post explains that I have manually put in the TFTP server.

I do use a separate DHCP server. But I have set the Polycom to TFTP and manually put the IP address in.

I was wondering if it was a permission issue on the tftpboot folder. When I do:

ls -ld tftpboot

I get:

drwxrwxrwx 4 root root 4096 Sep 10 17:29 tftpboot

dingoland

Sorry, i didn't read correctly the first lines :dry:

For the permissions on the tftpboot folder, try putting 777 and test again.

I don't remember the owner of tftpboot folder, but didn't change anything for the phones.

Regards

talkcross

1. Check the logs "grep tftpboot /var/log/messages"
2. Test with another tftp client
3. Increase tftp verbosity http://osqa.talkcross.com/questions/36/debuggin-tftpd
4. Make sure the you can ping the phone from the server
5. Make sure the MAC is correct (if not you will see errors in the log)
6. If need be fire up tcpdump or wireshark to sniff the traffic

kmullen

1. Check the logs "grep tftpboot /var/log/messages"
2. Test with another tftp client
3. Increase tftp verbosity osqa.talkcross.com/questions/36/debuggin-tftpd
4. Make sure the you can ping the phone from the server
5. Make sure the MAC is correct (if not you will see errors in the log)
6. If need be fire up tcpdump or wireshark to sniff the traffic

1. Nothing in the logs pertaining to the IP address of the phone.
2. I haven't been able to test with another TFTP client.
3. I increased the verbosity
4. Not only is the phone pingable, it will register with Elastix if I manually configure.
5. MAC is correct in the configuration file
6. I'll put wireshark on the network tomorrow and check results.

Thanks for the help.

kmullen

Update:

I am able to connect and download files with Windows 7 tftp client.

Results of Wireshark during boot.

52 13.766134 Polycom_1f:d8:29 CDP/VTP/DTP/PAgP/UDLD CDP Device ID: SEP0004f21fd829 Port ID: Port 1

That's the only thing I see coming from the Polycom during boot.

However I am seeing this coming from the server, which surprises me since DHCP is turned off.

75 26.772205 192.168.15.238 255.255.255.255 DHCP DHCP Offer - Transaction ID 0x35b34fc0

I don't see anything using the tftp protocol. What should I look for?

kmullen

Ok. I am not getting the error "Can't find the boot server" anymore. However, the configuration file isn't loading on the phone.

If I manually configure the server, user, auth user and password, the system will connect with the server and I don't get the Boot Server error. However, the file is not populating the other fields. i.e "Display Name" and "Label"

kmullen

Any answers out there?

Is there another more active forum?

dicko

kmullen said:
Any answers out there?
>> I would factory reset the phones, (you will then have to set them to use tftp as the provisioning protocol) make sure that whatever DHCP server you use specifically identifies option 66 as "tftp//1.2.3.4" for Polycom MAC addresses, or the polycoms will just not work with DHCP, The Elastix one does that, I have no idea about windoze. Otherwise, apart from the number of line keys (other posts here), the Elastix end point provisioner just works (for me)

Is there another more active forum?
>> No, there are 3952 topics here and 11761 posts on this forum , by far the most active one here.
>> Check it out at http://www.elastix.org/en/component/kunena/

dingoland

Hi,

Did you tried to install a windows tftp server with a full log file like TFTPD32 ?

I did this to debug my cisco tftp connection, as the log file is more explicit than the Elastix integrated tftp server (for me).
Like you, the cisco phone was not loading boot files.

For the other forum, you can try elastixconnection or maybe a polycom forum ;)

Regards

fmvillares

Re: Re:polycom 550 can't find boot server

in tftp you dont need user and pass.....thats your error....tftp is bare naked udp ftp....
and the elastix endpoint is simply broken since dark ages....
look in voip-info.org and do provisioning manually...its quite simple....download all zip bootrom and sip from polycom and learn from their examples...

kmullen

Re: Re:polycom 550 can't find boot server

Thanks everyone.

I was able to get the phones upgraded using a Windows TFTP server. However, the endpoint configurator isn't working. I would like to add the latest Polycom Bootrom and firmware on the server and have the phones upgrade from Elastix. Is there detailed instructions out there assuming I can get the Endpoint configurator to work?

Also, after the bootrom has been upgraded do you remove the bootrom files from the tftpboot folder to prevent the reloading of the bootrom each time?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarmenichetti